Rachel Dunn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
I recently heard that Rachel Dunn had passed away after a long battle with cancer. For those of you who don't know she was Ray Mears' wife.
I certainly don't want this thread to become a discussion of the Mears family private life, nor would I want to impose on the private grief of a family which has lost a mother, wife and friend. If this thread does cause offence, or is out of turn or inappropriate in any way then take it off the site and get rid of it. But I was looking for a way to pay my respects and couldn't think of anything else.
I met Rachel in 2000 when I went on Woodlore's Junior Fundamental Bushcraft Course at the age of 16. At that time I had no experience of Bushcraft at all, except messing around in the woods and getting a lot of smoke in my eyes.
Rachel was one of three instructors for the week, the others being John Rhyder and Ben McNutt. From the outset she provided a feminine refuge for the young students from the masculinity of the other two instructors. She was friendly patient and good humoured. She taught me how to use a firesteel and sharpen a knife, and she plastered me up when I cut myself doing it. I remember that the few female members of the group found her presence particularly helpful, and she wiped away plenty of tears and dispensed many hugs.
On my last day I accidentaly woke her up at 5:30am, as I'd gotten up early to finish my nettle cordage. She was brilliant about it and made a pot of tea.
When she dropped me at the sation, stinking of smoke and sweat (as I hadn't showered for the whole week) she gave me a big hug.
I spoke to her maybe twice after the course, and sent a couple of emails, but unfortunately I never saw again.
Rachel dunn, along with the other instructors on that week, opened the door to the world of Bushcraft, and I walked through it and fell in love with it. Because of that she has a special place in my memory.
If behind every great man their stands a great woman, then many of us owe Rachel a debt of gratitude, as her husband's work inspired not only me to pick up a knife and get outside.
If Ray Mears does visit this forum, and secretly observes our ramblings, then I would want him to know how big an impact his wife had on my life. I would want him to know that I remember her every time I sharpen my knife and light my fire with a firesteel.
Again I don't want to detract from a families loss, but I believe that world of Bushcraft has lost an inspirational and motivational light, who was far more instrumental in my life than Mors Kochanski or Ray Mears himself.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
To clarify Rachel passed away in May 06, over a year ago. There were many kind comments made, it's probably best not go into it all again, I'm sure that when Ray pops in he'll not want to be reminded of his loss.

Saying that I'm sure that he'll appreciate the comments made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE