Rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
HI, I'm looking for some rabbits for next monday for my Scout troop, I did have a contact but they are having problems getting them so looking further afield to see if anyone can help? I'm in Hampshire near Basingstoke and need them to be complete, guts and skin on. If anyone can help please let me know so I can arrange collection, thx

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Sorry i can't help but rabbits need to be paunched soon after death, if the guts are left in it will taint the meat or worse!
So I think you'll struggle to find them complete unless they're extremely fresh.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sorry i can't help but rabbits need to be paunched soon after death, if the guts are left in it will taint the meat or worse!
So I think you'll struggle to find them complete unless they're extremely fresh.

Exactly that - I do mine there and then, makes 'em lighter to carry, as well :) It's a shame you're not neare to me, I haven't known a year like this for coneys for a very long time - they're everywhere!

Somebody will put the mixy down soon, if they haven't already; a lot of the smallholders this way are giving more grass to the coneys than to their stock!

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
How many are you after? I'm ferreting Sunday and in the new forest if that's close enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Back 25 years, our scout leader brought some bloke in with live rabbits and we all got shown and had a chance to despatch them, gut and skin them. Meat was eaten, feet were cured etc....
Brilliant times.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Back 25 years, our scout leader brought some bloke in with live rabbits and we all got shown and had a chance to despatch them, gut and skin them. Meat was eaten, feet were cured etc....
Brilliant times.

I'm sure some bleeding heart liberal would have a fit of someone did that nowadays. Gods forbid children actually see where meat comes from :rolleyes:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
When my lads started to tell me that meat comes from tesco I went the local market and bought a couple gutted but with skin on and we spent and afternoon skinning and cutting in to portions for their grandad to stew up.

The scouts way taught me how to despatch correctly and quickly and to respect animals at an early age so stuff the liberals lol. Helped he get a few meals when scratching about in the raf anyway so it was worth it just for that!

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
My great uncle used to keep rabbits for the table. As kids we used to go to his house with half a crown to buy one on a weekly basis. When we arrived, he would take one of the rabbits out of its cage, lay it across his legs and the strike it firmly with a short length of broom handle across it neck. Skinned, gutted, and wrapped in newspaper for the journey home. I tried to get my kids to eat rabbit stew. I even managed to get some pearl barley as per my grandmothers recipe. No chance. One wouldn't even try it and the other two had one mouthful and left the rest. I thought it tasted justa likea mamma used to make. If your looking for rabbits then local airgunners are the place to start. I don't do it anymore or I would try to sort some out for you.

Good luck,
Don

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You would die. Rabbit protein malnutrition is well documented - rabbit does not contain enough fat to sustain life.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
When my dad was around my age (13) he used camp out overnight with a shotgun on his parents farm to get rabbits for the pot! He wasn't so good at getting lead pellets out: he tells me that often when he was eating, he would often find a pellet that he'd have to spit out!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Snooky, dont worry about the rabbit being gutted as long as they are head or heart/lung shot with a rifle you will have no problems, its when the guts are broken it creates problems. just keep them in a cool area until needed, a day or 2 is fine and will give a more gamey flavour...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE