Rabbit skin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
In about ten minuets I'll have a few rabbit skins if they are of any use to anyone?

Let me know ASAP as they'll be in the bin to avoid blow fly.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Butchd said:
I could have a use for some tanned ones, which clearly these aren't...

No they wern't really.

I gave up tanning rabbit skins after my second fur throw.
Great for the winter, when snuggling next to the fire but visitors seemed not to understand. :(

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
bushyboo said:
how easy are they to tan ?

Rabbit skins are real easy. They are small, easy to manipulate and quick to dry.
Try a deer skin ;)

Fox is VERY hard, due to the skins being so thin.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
torjusg said:
How many?

I'll take them if you have skinned them properly.

After twenty odd years of skinning rabbits, I probably didn't skin-um properly, luck they went in the bin, thanks for the tip. :theyareon

John

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I would take two off you, assuming you have two that are fairly closely matched colour wise, Infact I would take one off you even if not.

What would you want in return?

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
8thsinner said:
I would take two off you, assuming you have two that are fairly closely matched colour wise, Infact I would take one off you even if not.

What would you want in return?

Sorry 8th the skins really did go in the bin. I will have loads of skins over the next few weeks, so you would be more than welcome to have a couple. I don't want anything in return but it would be nice if you covered the cost of postage.
To keep the furs in tip top shape in this weather (very warm here), I'll need to wash and salt them ASAP, a night in the bin isn't going to help matters.

What are your plans for the skins? (BTW PM me with your details so I have a reminder and can get in touch).

John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My first courrans (soft lace on shoes) were made from rabbit skin with the fur inside......they were, and I quote my infant self, "Wuffly" I distinctly remember wriggling my toes in the soft fur, my dad had left them with high tops so they wrapped around my ankles.......cosy :D

cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Hunter_zero said:
I will have loads of skins over the next few weeks, so you would be more than welcome to have a couple. I don't want anything in return but it would be nice if you covered the cost of postage.

Hey, don't forget me either here!

I'll be more than happy to pay the postage for lets say: 10 skins.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
torjusg said:
Hey, don't forget me either here!

I'll be more than happy to pay the postage for lets say: 10 skins.

The skins would be on a first come bases, 8th will have what I shoot on my next trip. If you PM me, you can have what I shoot on my next trip BUT that might be one or two or three skins. I'm not really interested in filling my freezer with skins, so you would have to have what ever I shot.

John

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Hunter_zero said:
The skins would be on a first come bases, 8th will have what I shoot on my next trip. If you PM me, you can have what I shoot on my next trip BUT that might be one or two or three skins. I'm not really interested in filling my freezer with skins, so you would have to have what ever I shot.

John

You won't dry the skins?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Ever wish you hadn't started something ;) C'mon Hunter Zero the least you can do is remove, deflesh, dry, scrape and tan these skins they are for free after all :lmao: :nana:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Silverback said:
Ever wish you hadn't started something ;) C'mon Hunter Zero the least you can do is remove, deflesh, dry, scrape and tan these skins they are for free after all :lmao: :nana:

Well, I'd be willing to pay for them, and no scraping would be needed, only drying so the wouldn't start smelling in the mail.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
lol, well I would be intersted in skins that I could use without further ado (only because of the postage and because I think my wife would have fits), and I'd be prepared to pay for the work and postage involved. Not necessarily our friend Hunter here since he's obviously innundated :)

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Butchd said:
lol, well I would be intersted in skins that I could use without further ado (only because of the postage and because I think my wife would have fits), and I'd be prepared to pay for the work and postage involved. Not necessarily our friend Hunter here since he's obviously innundated :)

Problem I have is time. My work takes up a whole lot of my time, then me family and then shooting.

I get very little time to do the things I need to do, as such I have very little will to commit to anything other than necessities and shooting :)

On the other hand, I do get a surplus of things that I haven't the time to mess with, so I'm sorry to say they get binned.

But I am MORE than happy to give these things away, to people who do have the time to use them.

I have always been used to having all the time in the world but with my current job position, I haven't even got the time to stalk deer (went stalking once last year). During the summer months, I control buck rabbits and fryers on barley fields for a few friends. It's the sort of shooting, I can do after work, after tea and after the dogs have been walked.

This is the reason, I can not commit to any specific numbers of skins, nor do I intend to cure / tan the skins. Later in the year I'll have fox skins and deer skins (time on my side) again, anyone is welcome to them but there are no guarantees, no promises it all depends on time.

John

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Thats fair enough John and I wasn't intending to impose on your limited time. Deer I might well be interested in later in the year depending on how things go, but again I don't have the possibility of tanning so perhaps I can find someone more local.

Thanks again for making the offer even if I couldn't take you up on it.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Butchd said:
Thats fair enough John and I wasn't intending to impose on your limited time. Deer I might well be interested in later in the year depending on how things go, but again I don't have the possibility of tanning so perhaps I can find someone more local.

Thanks again for making the offer even if I couldn't take you up on it.

Out of interest I found a great set of instructions on how to tan rabbit skins. I've not used this method before but it looks good:

http://islandgems.net/tanning.html

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE