Rabbit Hole?

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
No expert either, but looking at the size compared to the saw, i'd agree that it looks a little big for a rabbit hole.

Dave

Now that you mention fox, the previous times I have been there, I have seen paw like prints in the snow, can't remember if it was a cat or fox. I also found the remains of a small deer, all that was left were bones.

Also in the winter whilst there, there were plenty of rabbit prints over the area.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It does look a bit large, and I've never seen a rabbit use a saw.;)

The entrance looks about 9" and I've just taken a picture of a rabbit hole that's about 4-5". At this time of year they often seem to have old bedding dumped outside - any trace of that or fur?

It does look a bit large, and I've never seen a rabbit use a saw.;)

The entrance looks about 9" and I've just taken a picture of a rabbit hole that's about 4-5". At this time of year they often seem to have old bedding dumped outside - any trace of that or fur?

I guess he preffered to use and keep an axe instead but didnt have room down there to keep a saw :D

The only fur was that bit in the middle of the pile if I remember rightly and looks bunny like to me. Would foxes use old rabbit holes or would they dig new ones themselves?
As I saird this was the only one I could see that was recently dug out, the others seemed pretty old.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Perhaps it was a fox digging to get at something?

My rabbits like knives.:lmao: This is a picture of what I'm sure is a rabbit hole.

rabbit_hole.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Looking at the size of the hole and the size of the clumps of dirt that were hoiked out, I wouldn't initially think rabbit. Can't see too well on my phone screen. Sloworm's pic show's that the mother has recently had young. A doe will pull her own fur out to create bedding for them.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Looking at the size of the hole and the size of the clumps of dirt that were hoiked out, I wouldn't initially think rabbit. Can't see too well on my phone screen. Sloworm's pic show's that the mother has recently had young. A doe will pull her own fur out to create bedding for them.

Wow, a devoted mother then, literally tearing her hair out! :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE