Rab Ridge Master - advice please :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Morning all!

Ive been considering the Rab Ridge Master as a wild camp option and wondered if anyone had used one, had any feedback and if feedback is good where to purchase.

Last year I used an Alkit Hunka XL and an Alpkit 3.5 Tarp and was very happy. However, I do like the idea of full enclosure with somewhere to chuck my kit in if I go for a wander. Plus the fly screen to keep midges out seems a bonus.

I do have a small tent which I use on longer trips, the Rab seems like a quicker to effect and more discreet option though.

Any advice would be much appreciated - first wild one of the year is in 2 weeks :)

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I've had a couple in the past and I really like the top access rather than crawling into a tunnel - that's what always put me off bivi bags -having to wriggle into them. The ridge master has eay side/top access and is nice and roomy and not too claustraphonbic.
rab1_zpscnwogazx.jpg

rab%202_zpsxgfciyn2.jpg

I like to use a small tarp as a porch ----- I'm so pleased I bought two :) :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have the rab event lite alpine, and when first proofed it was very good, even in the cold, BUT mashing it of the mud did it no good at all. The event will seep moisture by wicking( only enough for damp if you are touching it though) when not proofed.

If I WHERE to buy another of that type, the design looks ideal, as the pegging points stop it being mashed on the floor, and a pole to hold it it your sleeping bag, a good design.

chmusar

Apr 5, 2015
uk
What about this alternative

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/outdoor-research-advanced-bivy-bivy-sack/?pid=10004&cpkey=jpjLuAh5tL9zTu0-ylDs55z7DUi5Unz7QSzS9bPSyBY&_$ja=tsid:60797|cid:254044867|agid:15740387587|tid:pla-32181381980|crid:67862768227|nw:g|rnd:4664932412050683305|dvc:m|adp:1o5&gclid=CIWrzOTDr8oCFUTnwgodC74LKw

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

chmusar

Apr 5, 2015
uk
Oops link did not post correctly it is a

Outdoor research advanced bivy

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Thanks for the link. I have my Hulka XL which is wiggle in approach already and I was drawn to the Rab because it's side entry and a bit more "tenty" for cold / wet weather .

it does look like a cracking Bivy though

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I have one, only used it twice though as i prefer the comfort of a tent. Wanting to give it another shot though sometime soon.

If its raining, id still consider a tarp a necessity with it, for somewhere to cook under and sit. I pitch it over the side entrance so its a bit easier to change clothes or pack gear etc.
So by the time you've got this all done, you could have set a tent up in the same time or less anyway.
I also found that everything got slightly damp as the insides got a bit damp, and as its so small you cant help touch them. Not a problem for one or 2 nighters, but i wouldnt use it any longer for the sake of my things getting damp.

You've then got to consider weights also. The ridge master is 1kg (i think?) whereas something like a Wild Country Zephyros tent is 1.5kg or so, but you soon make that up if carrying a tarp. The Ridge master does pack alot smaller though,which is handy, but it is alot pricier with more downsides in my opinion.

My use for it in the future will be lightweight one night trips up a munro or two. Precooked foods, so no need for a tarp, and decent weather only for less hassle changing clothes. Other than that, id stick with a tent

edit- I should add, the biggest plus point for me is the midge mesh across the door. My best night camping so far has been in the Ridge master. Good weather, lying looking up at the stars and hills around me, but being totally protected from the midges. I dont get that in a tent. And im not quite brave enough for a bivy bag :rolleyes:

Last edited:

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I looked at the Rab but bought a Dutch army hooped Bivi instead. Side acces is much nicer than crawling into a tube. A tad heavier, but very roomy and robust. I'm very happy with it.
a1059654fca77f8a4e8112f72f71a1fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE