Rab down coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I have just bought a Rab Extreme Summit down coat from Rock and Run at £100 (half price) it seems a very good coat if a little tight worn over a t-shirt/hoddie/fleece combo.

My question is this, the shell material is Pertex, but its not a waterproof jacket. It has waterproof panels, but over all its not a water proof jacket. I thought down looses its warm qualities when wet. So what are you supposed to do? Wear an army poncho? Will the down get ruined if allowed to get wet? Don't they know it gets wet on a mountain? Seems a bit silly to me...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
General

It won't get ruined if it gets wet it will just not keep you warm, once it dries out again it will be fine. The pertex will keep snow off for a while but not rain. The rule of thumb is that if it is warm enough to rain rather than snow then it is too warm to wear that jacket.

As long as the weather is cold and fairly dry then you will be toasty wearing it. Any kind of activity like walking or climbing and you will get too hot. It is best for keeping you warm when you have to sit around or keep still. I've had a rab for 10 years and I love it but most of the year you don't get to use it.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I felt the same when I bought a North face Mc Murdo Parka. On the website it says
"In ice, snow, rain or sleet, the McMurdo Parka keeps you warm, and dry."
The first time I went out in "English" rain, it soaked through and I was not impressed :yikes: But I've since treated it with Niqwax polarproof and it's been fab, if a little warm for any activity over here. I'd love to use it in a proper icy, dry environment. Maybe next year.!!

Cheers,

Martin

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The North Face one is supposed to have a waterproof shell isn't it? I would have been miffed to say the least if it leaked first time out.

General I should have said nikwax proofings really help, they stop the pertex getting soaked through so quickly and they help to maintain the downs loft for longer if it is getting wet.

Polarproof or Downproof are the way to go. They also do a downwash which you can use in the machine just follw the instructions and try not to wash it too often. Once or twice a year unless it gets really dirty.

Bill

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have a Rab Summit. I will not wear it if there is a chance of rain. I am paranoid about the down going flat and not fluffing back up when it dries.
I am a bit anal about things like that..

leon-1

I have never had a down jacket, but I have had down sleeping bags for years.

The only real issue I have ever had with them was when someone washed one of my down bags, firstly it took forever to dry (well that's how it seemed at the time) and secondly when it did it had to be aired for quite a long time because the down seemed to stick together so it wouldn't loft properly, it took a fair amount of kneading to bring it back to life.

Do you not see the same thing with down jackets, I don't know that's why I am asking :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
OK:

George I thought people were going to call me a minger for washing it once a year but come to think of it I can't remember the last time it was washed so I don't do it every year you are right.

Steven, down goes flat because it is wet so when you dry it problem solved. It does take a long time to dry no question but you do not cause damage just by getting it wet.

Leon: I think rab even recomend using a tumble drier to dry out their down bags and jackets. Yep just read the label, tumble dry on a cool setting. I have also heard that putting a couple of tennis balls in the drier does that kneeding for you and it comes out nicely lofted.

This whole wet dry problem is a tricky one to get accross. I got my down jacket soaked through on the first outing and soon realised that the down clumps at the bottom of each section of the jacket and it offers no insulation at all. Since then I proof it with nikwax and most importantly don't wear it in the rain. If you get caught in a shower it's bad luck dry it out when you get home and it will be fine. If you have a goretex jacket wear the down under it (fleece and wool are not waterproof either) as long as it doesn't get exposed to loads of rain it will be a very warm layer (too warm for the UK most of the time like that).

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
It won't get ruined if it gets wet it will just not keep you warm, once it dries out again it will be fine. The pertex will keep snow off for a while but not rain. The rule of thumb is that if it is warm enough to rain rather than snow then it is too warm to wear that jacket.

As long as the weather is cold and fairly dry then you will be toasty wearing it. Any kind of activity like walking or climbing and you will get too hot. It is best for keeping you warm when you have to sit around or keep still. I've had a rab for 10 years and I love it but most of the year you don't get to use it.

Spot on Bill, I've had my down jacket for about 10 or 12 years and as you say I hardly get to wear mine either....it's just toooooo hot! Very useful if you're standing still, belaying etc but as soon as you've gone half a mile in anthing other than extream minus temps..you'll know how a boil in the bag meal feels! lol :eek:):

Mines got wet a few times and I'm sure it's insulation has decreased but I've never noticed it....most likely as per Bill's rule of thumb while it was raining it really wasn't that cold :p

Most of the time mine sits in it's stuff sack at the bottom of my bergan waiting for the time when I will "really" need it..... I'm careful in the Mountains...hence so far I haven't used it!

Top jacket you've got there my friend....enjoy it :biggthump

I haven't washed mine in all the time I got it....I bought it while working out in Nepal and didn't trust their laundry service!lol Then again as I don't wear it much it doesn't need cleaning....I sometimes hang it out to air like I do with my down dossbags.

As Bill says, if you have to wear it out in the rain then treat it like a middle layer (which in the UK it basically is) and wear a waterproof shell layer over the top....can't go wrong :eek:):

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
i have always thought down matted together when i got wet and after it dryed out it stayed that way..?? :?:

It's never happened to me with either my jacket or any of my down bags....then again, I don't get them wet very often... :eek:):

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
bambodoggy said:
Most of the time mine sits in it's stuff sack at the bottom of my bergan waiting for the time when I will "really" need it..... I'm careful in the Mountains...hence so far I haven't used it! :

Don't do this !

Insulating gear especially down should never be stored compressed. The down becomes less able to recover and won't loft as well = colder. The ideal is to bundle it loosely in an old pillowcase or duvet cover and keep it in a dry place like an airing cupboard or wardrobe.

In any decent shop, sleeping bags and jackets will be stored on hangers. If they're all racked up in their stuff sacks, go buy one somewhere else.

Cheers

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have had a Rab Andes Guide jacket for the last thirteen years, I used to have it dry cleaned every year (nagging wife), but for the last three years I have washed it at home in the washing machine with no problems, when it comes to drying use the tumble dryer but every twenty or thirty minutes take the jacket out and give it a good shake, and as previously said never keep it compressed, I leave mine on the coat hook in the hall and have never had cause to complain, as far as it getting wet, yes they are useless but when dry they go back to their brilliant selves, mine has had more soakings than I care to imagine and its still going strong.
Rab offer excellent advice and repair service I am sure that if you call them they will be very helpful. :p

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
alick said:
Don't do this !

Insulating gear especially down should never be stored compressed. The down becomes less able to recover and won't loft as well = colder. The ideal is to bundle it loosely in an old pillowcase or duvet cover and keep it in a dry place like an airing cupboard or wardrobe.

In any decent shop, sleeping bags and jackets will be stored on hangers. If they're all racked up in their stuff sacks, go buy one somewhere else.

Cheers

Sorry folks, didn't make myself clear....again! lol It lives on a hanger in my wardrobe when at home, I only meant it sits at the bottom of my bergan when I'm out in the hills etc....

:pack:

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Cheets for the great info guys, I have just washed it with TX-Direct wash in product at 40deg on a synthetic wash. I don't have a tumble dryer, so I have it over a cloths horse in a warm room.

I was told that the TX-Direct Wash in was not perfect for the jacket, rather that the down treatment would be better as it would allow the down to dry more quickly. However I was told it would be perfectly safe to use and if anything would make the Pertex shell more water resistant than the Down specific products.

We shall see... :pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE