Quotes to live by

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thump

Aug 26, 2013
Skultuna, Sweden
Old Swedish saying:

- Never trust the hand that makes money off of you.

- Lagom är bäst (just enough is plenty enough)

Last edited:

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
This has always worked for me

I owe allegiance to no nation, no creed, no race, no man
I serve no master and bow to no destiny bar my own
The path I tread is neither hidden nor plain, and it's destination is known only unto myself.

Or as my wife describes me, " somewhat mercenary selfish and secretive"

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, indeed. And,

It is not the critic who counts. Or how the strong man stumbled and fell
Or where the doer of deed could have done better.
The credit belongs to the Man who is actually in the arena.
Who knows the great enthusiasms. The great devotion.
And spends himself in a worthy cause.
If he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that he will never be one of those cold and timid souls
Who know neither victory or defeat.

Lasseters grave, Alice Springs.

Surprisingly similar to Theodore Roosevelt's quote:

quote_tiny-566b7de5e1ac5becd0dd8b2856f59228.jpg
[h=2]Theodore Roosevelt > Quotes > Quotable Quote[/h] [h=1]“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”[/h]

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt

I think this should be the motto for pre-hospital medicine...

Last edited:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Surprisingly similar to Theodore Roosevelt's quote:

quote_tiny-566b7de5e1ac5becd0dd8b2856f59228.jpg
[h=2]Theodore Roosevelt > Quotes > Quotable Quote[/h] [h=1]“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”[/h]

Indeed it is. I often wonder why it was shortened to be put on Lasseters grave. I can think of a couple of possible reasons. Either the original version was considered a bit flowery for a dry old bushwhacker, or they couldn't find a piece of stone big enough to engrave it on, or the engraver got daunted, didn't know what half the words meant, and decided to shorten it up a bit.....:p
I prefer the lasseters version myself, one, for the rougher language, and secondly, it was the first time i had seen the quote, so I suppose it's a bit sentimental.

What inspired Roosevelt to write it in the first place? I've never known. Any idea?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Indeed it is. I often wonder why it was shortened to be put on Lasseters grave. I can think of a couple of possible reasons. Either the original version was considered a bit flowery for a dry old bushwhacker, or they couldn't find a piece of stone big enough to engrave it on, or the engraver got daunted, didn't know what half the words meant, and decided to shorten it up a bit.....:p
I prefer the lasseters version myself, one, for the rougher language, and secondly, it was the first time i had seen the quote, so I suppose it's a bit sentimental.

What inspired Roosevelt to write it in the first place? I've never known. Any idea?

It was in a political speech he gave in 1910. I suspect it was a bit of cheerleading for his supporters. Whatever the inspiration was, I quite like it too.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
It was in a political speech he gave in 1910. I suspect it was a bit of cheerleading for his supporters. Whatever the inspiration was, I quite like it too.

This puts it into context.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Citizenship_in_a_Republic

It's the seventh paragraph, reading the one before it puts it into context a bit. The whole thing is pretty interesting, to me. Strangely relevant to the forum in some ways, goes on a bit about the American pioneers. He was a long winded blighter though.......:D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This puts it into context.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Citizenship_in_a_Republic

It's the seventh paragraph, reading the one before it puts it into context a bit. The whole thing is pretty interesting, to me. Strangely relevant to the forum in some ways, goes on a bit about the American pioneers. He was a long winded blighter though.......:D

Thanks for the link. It does help. Yes he was long winded. From what I gather though, that was common in public figures at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE