Quinze Building

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Very nice, Maybe one day i'll get the chance to make one as good as that. I still can't help being freaked out at the though of all that snow above my head though. well done

Mang

Settler
This is me last night hollowing out mine. it's smaller than I'd like but we haven't had loads of snow and I've really had to (literally) scrape the snow together. I stopped last night due to bad light and to dump some of the scraped snow on the top to both refreeze and increase the height a bit. I'll have to get a move on and finish it as it's thawing here.

quinze.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like I wont get the chance to stay in it at the weekend, its sagged. :(

Remains of the Quinze by pandabean2010, on Flickr

Pile on more snow and hollow it out again!
Or - Wimp out....... :D

Still not enough snow here to do anything in my small and heavily planted garden ...but I have been able to get some good photos of snow melting for drinking water (Eskimo Marshmallow, boil in a mess tin, melting table) on fires built on packed snow - all for my magazine column so until they are published I do not want to put them up here! (my copyright but I am selling 1st British serialisation rights to the mag)
I am also getting lots of clothing, food and equipment tested - Woolpower rocks! The new reversible polar Buff is excellent! Cheapo fleece gloves are not up to making snowmen.....

Mang, thats a great picture, looks like you have given up and went to sleep for the night. :)

John, I didn't wimp out merely it was down to circumstance. :p Unfortunately by the following weekend it had all gone, now we have a fresh snowfall but again very little time to play. Plus I have just a new toy :) John have you done an article similar to what Ray showed on one of his shows where he had a fire in the top hollow and two or three other hollows downslope from it to filter it out?

I have seen the reversible polar buffs and they look good, not tried one yet though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE