Quicky Sulphur match tutorial

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Later, when I have done some suitably stitch counting research I will put up a little piece on sulphur matches but in the mean time I thought I'd put up a mini tutorial on making users rather than the precise historically accurate variations I intend to do.

Since all the local tobacconists only had coloured spills and I've yet to replicate some accurate copies from deal and pine (the two most common woods used as far as I can find) all I had to hand was a bunch of coffee stirrers from Tescos cafe that folk had proffed for me to use as paint stirrers

Match1.jpg

Spills and any other roughly split wood works better than smooth stuff but the sulphur will still adhere to things like lolly sticks well enough.

To make a batch pointed at both ends quickly I used a sanding machine.

Match2.jpg

Most originals were wider, pointed seems to be the most common shape but the Bryant and May collection lists flat ended, square section and of all sizes but more of that when I do the article proper.

Match3.jpg

The weather being suitable I dragged myself into the garden and Jnr took some pics of me coating the tips.

First off I three quarter filled a test tube with sulphur powder. A thin stick or wire was most useful in unclogging the funnel.

sulphurfilling.jpg

The wind was too strong for the meths burner from the chemistry set so I used the good old camping gaz stove to slowly melt the sulphur until it went runny.

sulphurmelting.jpg

Please google the safety precautions for working with sulphur. I ensured it was pointing away from me as I melted it and that a stiff breeze was blowing any fumes away from me. The liquid turned brown but the dipped matches went back more or less the yellow of the powder when they cooled. Gentle shakes ensured the gloop stayed runny for longer between heatings as the surface thickened faster than the bottom part. I'm not sure about this but it seemed at one point that if you applied too much heat it went redder, syrupy and, rather than heat it up more, it went runny again as it cooled? Is that right ye chemists out there? Anyway it kept going with the odd top up and reheating.

A quick dip at each end was all that was required

sulphurdipping.jpg

If it had cooled too much you ended up with the above. Oops!

It took about thirty minutes to dip this batch, it would be much easier with a bigger container but a test tube and a small amount of sulphur was all I had.

sulphurpot1.jpg

And the proof of the pudding, apply to a smouldering bit of char and you get this:

sulphurmatchlit.jpg

I thank you, and goodnight!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Perfick - thanks Tom.

I now have my sulphur and have the fixings for some slow match coming (well have the chemical bit - just waiting for the bondage rope :D)

Its just one dip per spill I assume - looks preety thin as a coating?

Really enjoying your articles on this area

Red

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
thanks tom great posts as per usual, what I dont understand about sulpher matches is the chemistry can any one explain how this works?

ow and Red I've never managed to get the slow match bits and pieces together but would love some i know its a bit cheeky but any chance you might have a spare bit when your done?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, should be fine - femind me in a few days when the bondage rope turns up ;)

Bought the cotton as they are out of linen but got two different sizes.

Got some sulphur too but its up at the farm. Don't think there is much to the chemisty. The sulphur just catches fire when you touch it to glowing slow match, char cloth etc. and makes a flame.

Red

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers all, it's nice to be appreciated!

Yup just one dip at each end, and when the sulphurs pretty damn runny as well. If its thick the burning sulphur drips in a alarming fashion and it also seams to break off the match easier when handled. When I compared thin coating to thick in use there seamed no advatage to the thicker. Once either is going they were equally hard to blow out for example.

Going to try and find some proper unprocessed rock sulphur as thats what they would have used back in the day. Need to find me a pet shop...

sulphurmatchset.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Garden centrs sell it,

http://www.gardenchemicals.co.uk/pdt_sulphurpowder.htm

supposedly pet shops have it in lump form

http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH1318

and I've just used the wifes paypal to order some from these guys

http://www.hobbychemicals.co.uk/chemicals/sulphur.php

Who do KN03 as well in nice big bags.

I'd like some picked off the side of a volcano myself with all the impurities and crap in it, but thats just me!

The matches work so well, no messing about getting a proper flame from the char, a nice ember does the busines.

One more thing the doctored with potasium nitrate char definately works better than the normal stuff, worth doing if you need to build your confidence/want to show off.. One bit of Char+ (TM) ;-[D)ripped up on top of you normal char really makes a difference but a whole piece tends to burn too fast. Hit a small bit with a spark and the ember transfers to the normal one underneath nicely.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tom,

Can I ask where you obtained the rushlight stand and wick trimmer too? Bloody lovely looking set ;)

Red

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The rushlight nips were a (great, shocking almost) suprise present from a mate in the US who was following my saga of making the tallow etc . We believe its the real thing from the 1830s New England although with stuff like this it's almost impossible to be sure. It came from a reputable source anyway. When it arrived you could have knocked me down with a feather!

The wick trimmer was a ball of rust for 50p on Accrington flea market, It cleaned up pretty well but I didn't want to polish it too far as it was still tight and sharp.

Today I aquired a couple of old HMSO single hole punches wich given a decent heat source and something to use as a anvil look ideal for turning into the sort of nips that are mounted on a wooden block like the one I cobbled together from old pliers. If I can I would like to copy (sort of ) some of the varriations I've found in a excellent book on household iron and brass ware.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE