Quick Question - knife handle bolsters

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase solid brass bolsters, and also possibly bits of antler for my next knife making project? My first was a kit so had all the required bits included.

I have seen people use coins and things, which is great but my old coppers do go a bit green and I dont want my fancy knife doing that. Also wanter something a bit thicker. I suppose I could just buy a sheet of 3 or 4mm brass and hack them out - but any suggestions on a good place to get even that?

Thank you all for feedback and help in advance.

Colin

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
just get some brass bar stock (or any other metal you like) from a metal supplier. I go to a non-ferrous supplier on an industrial estate, but then I buy a few hundred quids worth at a time ;) For odd bits I have used Ebay too; just type in brass barstock and you'll find sellers with enough to make one bolster or a bunch. I've also had good luck at recycling centres and scrap yards, its amazing what you can find in the way of odd bits of copper/brass that will cost pennies when weighed in

Same deal for antler, etc. If you search for knife handle materials online you'll get all of the over priced ready cut bits from a few sellers (such as brisa, highland horn, english handmade knives, etc). If you try looking for the materials you are after then you will get more choice and much better prices, though its not going to be a one-stop-shop.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Thanks Dave. Funny you should comment, I was going to be PM'ing you in the near future to ask if you take commisions for hand forged blades. I am planning on a baby brother for my JP petterson blade (which is my next project)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,ve got some antler bits if you need it mate,...?

i could probs rustle up some brass too,...

ping me your addy,...i'll send out what i have,...

Stu..

only condition is ,,,loads of pics of it when its done,...

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I went to my local scrap dealer, there was plenty of brass put aside for people like me who walk in wanting some.
I paid £3.00 for a piece of 60mm X 60cm X 3mm.
Cheep a chips me thinks.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Thanks Dave. Funny you should comment, I was going to be PM'ing you in the near future to ask if you take commisions for hand forged blades. I am planning on a baby brother for my JP petterson blade (which is my next project)

i do take commissions for blades :) small, large, forged finished, pattern welded, polished, you name it and I'll most likely be able to make it for you :D

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
i,ve got some antler bits if you need it mate,...?

i could probs rustle up some brass too,...

ping me your addy,...i'll send out what i have,...

Stu..

only condition is ,,,loads of pics of it when its done,...

Cheers Stu - that would be legendry! PM inbound
I did make a post on stick tang mark I - now Ive got the bug. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87963&highlight=

I went to my local scrap dealer, there was plenty of brass put aside for people like me who walk in wanting some.
Cheep a chips me thinks.

Geez that is cheap! I'll be off to find a local scrap dealer on my next day off then!

i do take commissions for blades :) small, large, forged finished, pattern welded, polished, you name it and I'll most likely be able to make it for you :D

Brilliant. I will be having a think about exact design of mark III after mark II is off the ground, so you can expect to hear from me then!

Anyone had any experience with damascan steel bolsters/spacers? My current design train of thought is for 3mm nickel bolster, 3mm damscan, ~1cm antler/white synthetic spacer, 3mm damascan, 3mm nickel with a dark/black wood (ebony of bog oak) for the handle, and possibly a nickel heel cap. My concern is spending a fair few bob on the bits of damascan only to find the side profile pattern is entirely unexciting. If so I will have to try my hand at filing!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Cheep a chips me thinks.

That was pricey compared to the bit I got... £5 for a piece about 50cm x 45cm x 3mm :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Crikey, £5 for 50x45cm?!! I thought it was mm when I read it! I bought a sheet of 3mm brass recently that was about 50x60cm and that was more like £140, but it was new not from the scrappy (no good scrappies round here :( )

Using damascus for bolsters will depend on how the pattern is orientated. If its a piece from a straight laminate that would normally be used as a blade (eg an offcut from damascus bladestock), then most likely you will just have parallel lines. If its a slice from twisted pattern bar then you might get lucky and have stars. Some damascus is designed to be used as bosters and so is cut/forged the other way to present the picture on the other side. Mosaic damascus is a good example there: the pattern develops on the end of the bar, so to get it showing in a blade you have to consortina it (other methods are available). Mosaic patterns are often sold in slices for use as bolsters too.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Hmmm, it was Damascan bolsters I was looking at on english handmade knives and brisa I was looking at. It only shows you a picture from the top, not the side, and there is very limited detail. May well email and ask.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:Wow: english handmade knives sell bits a fraction of that size for nearly as much (and by fraction I mean move the decimal points one place to the left!)

Crikey, £5 for 50x45cm?!! I thought it was mm when I read it! I bought a sheet of 3mm brass recently that was about 50x60cm and that was more like £140, but it was new not from the scrappy (no good scrappies round here :( )

Well it does help I've known the scrappie for over 15 years :naughty::rolleyes:

The brass is like new, still got the protective film on one side :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:Wow: english handmade knives sell bits a fraction of that size for nearly as much (and by fraction I mean move the decimal points one place to the left!)

Well it does help I've known the scrappie for over 15 years :naughty::rolleyes:

The brass is like new, still got the protective film on one side :D

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Useful thread.Thanks Colin for posting.
I am looking for bolster material too : a nice piece of nickel to complement the bog oak handle
I have planned for my Dave Budd blade.I have pins , wood and blade and even some nice leather for the sheath
so I shall peruse the scrappy over the weekend and then re-think bolster.I have been practising my carving on
small bits of bog oak to get a feel for it so will get going next weekend with luck.Can't wait.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE