quick glue question!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all, does arledite melt?? I am attaching brackets to my billy can and need to know if I need to use rivets or glue?! cheers, will

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Use rivets mate, epoxy melts with heat. If you must use glue for a high heat application use JB Weld.

hope that helps dude, Davie

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Don't use the araldite. the molecular structure of the epoxy breaks down when it gets hot, and the glue fails.

And it does not need to get very hot. I remember gluing a Mahogany plank on a boat, only to realise something was wrong..:( ...I had to remove the whole thing off the boat. All I had to use was a hot air gun. Even a hot sun on a dark Mahogany deck can make the glue fail.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
As said, rivets. Just about all conventional glues will burn or melt. There are a few exceptions - when I was a mechanic we used something which seemed like an epoxy (in that there was a glue and a hardener) that form a stiff paste which withstood outer engine temps, but I don't know if it could handle an open flame, it was really more of a stopgap than a solution - no idea what it's called, either. Kinda looked a metallic grey, or dull silver? When it dried, it was hard as, too! The problem with a lot of things like that though, is that when exposed to heat a lot, they get very brittle.

Atb
Pete

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As said, rivets. Just about all conventional glues will burn or melt. There are a few exceptions - when I was a mechanic we used something which seemed like an epoxy (in that there was a glue and a hardener) that form a stiff paste which withstood outer engine temps, but I don't know if it could handle an open flame, it was really more of a stopgap than a solution - no idea what it's called, either. Kinda looked a metallic grey, or dull silver? When it dried, it was hard as, too! The problem with a lot of things like that though, is that when exposed to heat a lot, they get very brittle.

Atb
Pete
Sounds like Devcon liquid metal
Save up to temps of 120C

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Rivets, first, last and always

I use Araldite for my arrows, I remove arrow heads from my broken shafts using a butane torch, I have done it using friction

If you want some small rivets, PM me your snail and I'll send you a few

ganstey

Settler

Atb
Pete

Gun Gum? Never used it myself, but remember my brother mending a hole in his motorbike exhaust with it. No idea whether that was its real name, or if it still exists.

G

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Gun Gum? Never used it myself, but remember my brother mending a hole in his motorbike exhaust with it. No idea whether that was its real name, or if it still exists.

G

Gun Gum is the name and you can still buy it

Its for fixing exhausts (as you've said) and therefore I wouldn't use it on a cooking pot (the gods only know whats in it)

If it was me (and it was last month) I'd stick with a mechanical fixing rather then glue (mind you if you can get your hands on a gas torch, brazing is good)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I have used gun gum, but it wasn't what I was thinking of - can't stand that stuff! Can be used for patching exhausts as said, but it also gets pretty brittle and is just a temporary fix (one that people often use just to get their car through an MOT test). Definitely wouldn't use for this though. I recall someone mistakenly using it on a cylinder head gasket rather than a gasket sealer - fun times ;)

Atb
Pete

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
arledyte will fail under heat. I had to take wooden handles off a knife that I had expoxied to the knife. a quick application of a blowtorch soon got the damm things off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE