quick blade question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
On a 3mm tool steel blank what angle should i aim for when putting the bevel on if i wish to eventually end up with a scandi grind?

i am going for my first knife soon so would like to know your thoughts?!

cheers in advance

Feb 19, 2010
west Mids
This chart, (from another forum) might help

Grindhight.jpg

Hope it does

Chris :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if your going for your first knife just take your time and work the angle you want with a hand file.....

i would also recamend heat treating a strip of scrap metle first to get the process correct........its harder than you think to keep it straight...lol

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
if your going for your first knife just take your time and work the angle you want with a hand file.....
...its harder than you think to keep it straight...lol

It is indeed. I made my first knife a couple of months ago and I made a couple of mistakes that I shall share in the hope that you don't make the same ones.

Unlike you I was using a file as material. First mistake, I didn't anneal it properly and destroyed the drill bit cutting holes for pins to hold the scales.

2'ed mistake.
I didn't take my time with the file, hence the flats of the bevel were not flat. Others suggest making and using a jig.

3'ed mistake.
I then heat treated it, which made it a real b&*ger to hand grind them flat. Eventually I annealed it again so that I could get them flat.

4th "mistake"
Rather than heat treat the bulk then temper it back I attempted to just harden the edge by quenching that. I suspect I have a very brittle edge and will temper next time.

Finally when fitting the scales I didn't mock up a handle out of something soft to get a comfortable thickness. I should have done so because once the pins are fitted it's difficult to reduce the thickness as you need a file/sander that copes well with wood and brass.

I'm proud of my work, but there is a reason that I don't post photos of it on forums like this. Perhaps my next will be good enough to show off.

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
thanks hugely for your help guys, i was planning a file knife as well, hopefully before the other one as i have alot of knackered old files and not alot of tool steel so thought best to muck up a buggered old file whilst learning!

cheers again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE