Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As said in my intro thread I have been fascinated with Bushcraft for a while and did try some things out on my last camping trip to Rannoch Moor.

I have a few questions to ask on the subject.

One problem that I have is if I go out into the field I have to take a book with the techniques but I always find this clumsy in a way. Does learning this stuff come with time and do you guys go out with books?

Is there any good books for tree and plant identification?

Regarding the magazine can it only be bought through this site or can it be bought in shops?

Hope its not to many questions.
Andy

paulcd

Tenderfoot
Hi
I would take one general wildlife book (e.g. one by collins on British Wildlife) and one on edibles. Then I would take photocopied notes on a couple of projects that I want to achieve. I would take a million pictures with a digital camera, which you could use to record things you see, and that also acts like a nature journal as it has the date taken etc.
After so many years study in particular areas you will develop a 'critical mass' of knowledge that tells you what something isn't, what sort of thing it might be, and what it possibly is, to a fine degree. It takes time, but you will get the knowledge with perserverance. Try this...I read somewhere (and will misquote) that if you study a subject for an hour a day, every day, you will become a local expert very soon, a regional expert after a few years, a national expert after 4-5 years, and an international expert after 7 years! Good luck! PCD

Hi,

I'm not to proud to say i often take books with me - sometimes for reference sometimes to read in the field for pleasure. It's all a learnign curve and most importantly IMHO it should be fun when we learn. :rolleyes:

I love to try new methods and learn from others experiences and sometimes it is easier to learn from a book is better than a human companion - except when it comes to knots, bends and stringy things in my case :lmao:

All the best,

Phil.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Andy,
Don't be frightened to try new techniques in your shed or garage. Being in comfortable suroundings helps the first steps feel a bit easier - so that you can try with a bit of experience when you do go walkabout and use those skills for real.
I don't see anything wrong with taking a "field guide" with you anywhere - afterall, when the option is being poisoned, its a sensible precaution.

ATB

Ogri the trog

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Theres quite a few Collins Gems that cover related subjects...

SAS survival handbook
Food For Free
Trees (although I prefer my little Larouse hand book for that)
and quite a few others I can't remember the titles of :(

I have a few collins gems in the side pocket of my van door for when I take the dog for a walk but unfortunatley it seems that most "Bushcraft" books seem to be biggassed numb things more suited to a coffee table.

Not really suited to accurate plant identification in the field then :rolleyes:

E

Enok

sxmolloy said:
I always take "food for free" out with me by Richard Mabey, although not really tree or plant ID it does show and explain tree parts and plants that are edible.

ATB....Stu
Can anyone please tell me where i could get a copy of "food for free"

I cant find it anywhere ty :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE