Questions - making knife sheaths

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a couple of questions.
It is time now to start making knife sheaths for the knives I have re handled.
I am using Veg tanned leather and marine plywood for the inserts.

To form the leather, I have wetted it briefly, then placed around the (foil covered ) knife inserted into the insert, then clamped it together.

After drying, I thought of glueing the insert to the formed leather using, then when dry marking out for the holes, drill and stitch.

Is this the correct way to do?
YouTube shows several different ways, but most look like you need to know what you are doing, which I do not!

For the stitching, I thought of using a Silk thread. Ok to do that?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The blades are Mora , Frosts, some classic shaped Finnish blades, Russian (Yakutian) .

The knifes for use I thought needed the insert. To stiffen it and protect the blade...

Maybe I should throw away the inserts and do a protective extra layer of the leather on the edge side?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The blades are Mora , Frosts, some classic shaped Finnish blades, Russian (Yakutian) .

The knifes for use I thought needed the insert. To stiffen it and protect the blade...

Maybe I should throw away the inserts and do a protective extra layer of the leather on the edge side?

2mm or 3mm leather and a welt to protect the stitches, will be more than stiff enough for what you need. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If th sheath is to have its seam on the edge there is no need for an insert as the welt will suffice.

If it is to have a rear seam then a n insert is used but not done in the way you describe. It would also be preferable to use half tanned leather.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I thought I start by doing the seam on the edge side, as it looks simpler!

The Yakut knives I bought from Siberia have the seam on the edge side, and have an insert, so I copied that idea.

The leather I use is from Brisa, 3 to 3.5mm thick.

After I have learned how to work with leather, I think I will do a scabbard in wood ( mahogany) with just a retaining collar in leather, type Same knife sheats.

Then I will try to do some Same inspired work, both the handles and the sheaths. Moose and Reindeer antler, whale bone, stuff like that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I also bought a piece of half tanned leather, but not sure how long I should soak it. It is much stiffer than the veg tanned leather.

As you can read, I am a novice when it comes to leather work!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE