Questions - Canvas tarps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Hey guys. I would like to buy some canvas tarps to make my shelter, but I know nothing about weight or resistency of the material and how to water proof it. Can you guys help me?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cotton canvas is very tough - I have tarps in a couple of different weights and can recommend Bilmo's offerings
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125630&highlight=bilmo+tarp
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132293&highlight=bilmo+tarp
Great tarps but not the lightest.
I have also made my own 100% cotton tarp from Down Proof Cambric - intended for making pillow case - and with webbing reinforced seams and a good soaking in Fabsil this tarp is proving a very good light weight option!
I have also read of folk making tarps from bedsheets and proofing them with home made oil mixes....
If I were to be in the market to buy a canvas tarp then my first stop would be a visit to Bilmo - bilmo-p5 - on this website and see if he can fill your needs.:)

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Cotton canvas is very tough - I have tarps in a couple of different weights and can recommend Bilmo's offerings
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125630&highlight=bilmo+tarp
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132293&highlight=bilmo+tarp
Great tarps but not the lightest.
I have also made my own 100% cotton tarp from Down Proof Cambric - intended for making pillow case - and with webbing reinforced seams and a good soaking in Fabsil this tarp is proving a very good light weight option!
I have also read of folk making tarps from bedsheets and proofing them with home made oil mixes....
If I were to be in the market to buy a canvas tarp then my first stop would be a visit to Bilmo - bilmo-p5 - on this website and see if he can fill your needs.:)

Thanks for the tips, but I can not buy these, since I live in Brazil, and importing stuff is quite complicated here.

Can you give me any information about the types of canvas and how heavy they have to be to become a tarp?

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It all depends on the waterproofing. Could i ask what your plans are for this tarp? Is it to go trekking, car camping, just in case? You say shelter, but will this be a shelter which moves a lot, or will it be a shelter which you set up once and then use as a base camp for a week? Canvas which is wet is very heavy, and no matter what you try to waterproof it with, will allow moisture to soak in. It also rots quite fast from what i've seen if stored wet which might be a problem in your region?

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Well, I intend to make it for a base camp and stay there for some time and then go back home.
Here it is quite rainy and wet, depending on where I camp, I spend most of the year in one side of the state, but I hardly camp here. It is very wet here, always got rain in may camps. But on the other side of the state, where camp more frequently, it is dryer and I usually don't camp when it is raining. Getting it dry after the camp would not be a big problem.

Also, I want one piece to make a hammock with and to sleep over it on the ground. But I think I will stay with my hammock because it has a mosquito net.

What would be a solution for canvas tarps? I have a blue plastic tarp, but I have to carry it inside the bag, because I fear it would rip if rolled aroud the bed roll.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Start at a chandler's (ship and boat fittings supplies) to find sail makers with various weights of canvas.
The sail makers might stitch up some off cut scrap to a useful size for you.

Waxy waterproofing will increase the weight quite dramatically and make the sheet quite stiff to try to pack.
We had some when I was a kid and they seemed bulky, smelly and not so very waterproof.

The most economical alternative here is a plastic-coated mesh/cloth/screen tarp with OK grommets around the edge.
They are crappy, they wear quickly. BUT for the price, there's nothing better. I keep one in my vehicle, maybe 4m x 4m,
which folds to maybe 30x30cm and 3cm thick. Cost less than a dozen beer.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Judging from what you say, i'd stick with nylon or silnylon. Will keep you dryer and weighs a lot less. It also has less of a tendency to rot which is important for a wet area (from what i've noticed). The big plastic tarps are good for use on the ground, but i found the grommets and loops tend to tear out unless really well made and reinforced (Never seen one of the plastic ones well made actually xD).

Edit: it'll probably also be cheaper ;)

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Here we can find some coton canvas tarps that are made to measure to cover the load in trucks. They weight 750 gr/m² and they have eyelets every meter.
The manufacturer says they use top of the line waterproofing tecnology. And they probably are very waterproof and resistent, since used on trucks, you can buy pieces of these of 10x10 meters. I think my backpack is made of these.
It is quite expensive, so I want to be sure of what I'm buying.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I find the lighter weights, (6-8oz) more waterproof. They have a tighter, more dense weave. I have a 10oz Frost river tarp, that has never leaked. It was once up for 6 months and Ive never treated it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE