Questions about restoring a blade

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Recently I've found this knife. The blade is about 80 yrs old and was made from a huge saw. Here you can find the pictures

734i.jpg

ndcq.jpg

I'd like to ask you how can I remove the dirt and dust from the blade without damages for the steel

Thanks

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
It is one of the oldest blades of my grandfather's wife. He worked near a sawmill and recycled the blade too worn for cut properly and made tools from them. I have no idea of what type of steel is, but it seems of good quality

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
And here I have the results after the first rough cleaning. (A lot of ) sandpaper and also the beech handle was removed. The edge is very blunt and I might solve this problem and the cleaning one with the aid of a cutlery (unfortunately I have no proper stones to sharpen it myself)

xob4.jpg

jopo.jpg

For Tat2trev: I noticed your knife, showed in belt rig thread, has a very nice patina on the back of the blade. I recognize the same patina on this blade gut I'm afraid after polishing it will disappear. How can I create it again?

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
And here I have the results after the first rough cleaning. (A lot of ) sandpaper and also the beech handle was removed. The edge is very blunt and I might solve this problem and the cleaning one with the aid of a cutlery (unfortunately I have no proper stones to sharpen it myself)

xob4.jpg

jopo.jpg

For Tat2trev: I noticed your knife, showed in belt rig thread, has a very nice patina on the back of the blade. I recognize the same patina on this blade gut I'm afraid after polishing it will disappear. How can I create it again?

Cover it in tomato sauce bud and leave it a few hours

See I'm of the view if it had filework originally then during the restoration process tidy up the file work.
If its not got it then the original maker didn't intend it to have it.
A respectful restoration of the original piece is a better approach.

I know that my grandfather is happy when I restore/re handle or sharpen the green wood working tools he gives me, I also know he would give me hell if I did something that wasnt in keeping with the tools he used for his livelihood.

All of the above is just my opinion (apart from bit bout me granddad)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
See I'm of the view if it had filework originally then during the restoration process tidy up the file work.
If its not got it then the original maker didn't intend it to have it.
A respectful restoration of the original piece is a better approach.

I know that my grandfather is happy when I restore/re handle or sharpen the green wood working tools he gives me, I also know he would give me hell if I did something that wasnt in keeping with the tools he used for his livelihood.

All of the above is just my opinion (apart from bit bout me granddad)

But it's 80 yr old and passed onto him why should he not add his bit of history to the blade so it can be passed onto another family member with his mark on it showing how generations change throughout the years .

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
From my point of view because restoring is one thing.
Drastic alteration is another.
One day I hope to pass on my grandfather's tools to my son. I've got leather working tools from my great great great grandfather that he'd still recognise. History for me is more important than a passing fancy.

Fair point but removing the scales and patina is not restoration in my eyes
Should have been left alone and sharpend then .

Last edited:
Remember trigs brush in only fools and horses its the same brush its just had three new handles and four new heads.
Or the dwarf king in the fifth elephant by terry pratchett referring to his granfathers axe havin new handles.
Repairs and the replacement of parts in this case scales are part of restoring it to a working tool imho.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why not age is irrespective I'm going to file work my Collins 1944 machete

There's also something about showing respect to the original maker.

Unless it's been done sympathetically and skillfully by someone who not only knows when to stop but whether it's appropriate for the knife in the first place the appearance and look of blades are more often that not ruined by the filework.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I don't understand this fascination for file work on a working knife. Yes it looks good and shows some skills but for something that's a show piece.
To me the spine of a knife is used for scraping my ferro rod, scraping bark and if needed to be battoned it will also make it harder to clean all of which file work will make it harder to do.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I don't understand this fascination for file work on a working knife. Yes it looks good and shows some skills but for something that's a show piece.
To me the spine of a knife is used for scraping my ferro rod, scraping bark and if needed to be battoned it will also make it harder to clean.

Still works with a ferro rod and certainly not harder to clean scraps bark and still batons wood

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
In my experience I beg to differ. Some of the cuts used for file work removes the sharp edge that's needed for scraping the ferro and removing bark. I have owned and still own file worked blades and love them. If you batton with file work it acts as a toothy edge which rips the batton piece to shreds. How many times do you see people being advised to sharpen the spine for scraping. I'm fully aware of the fact that you do file work but after many years of using my knives for these tasks it's what I have found.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
In my experience I beg to differ. Some of the cuts used for file work removes the sharp edge that's needed for scraping the ferro and removing bark. I have owned and still own file worked blades and love them. If you batton with file work it acts as a toothy edge which rips the batton piece to shreds. How many times do you see people being advised to sharpen the spine for scraping. I'm fully aware of the fact that you do file work but after many years of using my knives for these tasks it's what I have found.

So what now I'm supposed to give up filework and engraving as it clearly does blades no favours good job I didn't pay to become maker plus then cheers fella for the advice you saved me some serious money .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE