Snugpak hooped bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
It would be easy to make this a hammock versus bivi bag review, but really these are two different ways of sleeping in the outdoors. So I'll attempt to confine this to reviewing the bivi bag itself.

As the name implies, a bivi bag is designed as a shelter and to encompass a sleeping bag which will lay straight on the ground. Ideally it should protect the sleeping bag from the rising damp of the ground and be waterproof enough to protect the occupant from the elements. Basically it's a single person lightweight shelter falling short of an actual tent.

DSCN2239.jpg

There are a few bivi bags around but the most popular is the ex-Brit army goretex version; a bag I have used on a number of previous occasions. These are certainly waterproof but you pay for it in weight. The other disadvantage is that most bivi bags leave the head exposed. So is the Snagpak bivi bag an improvement on this system?

The bivi bag comes in its own compression stuff sack, which is a good start. There are two lightweight alluminium poles which collapse into 8 inch lengths. There's also a bag of the sturdiest tent pegs I've ever seen (and the heaviest!) They went straight into the great tent peg repository in the sky to be replaced by my normal alluminium pegs.

Setting up the bag couln't be easier. Thread the poles through the sleeves at the head end of the bag and secure the ends in the holes in the loops provided (a la tent). These loops can then be pegged down. Before you ask, yes it is necessary to peg at least two poles down (one at each side) or the hood part moves about too much and becomes a pain.

DSCN2245.jpg

It's also a good idea to peg out the other foot end of the bag with one peg in the provided loop. This make a minimum of three extra pegs you must carry about (or make).

The obvious difference between this and a normal bivi bag is that you now have a raised, supported or framed hood at the head end, which you can only really appreciate once you're inside the bag. It's really a self supporting canopy, which can be enclosed, covering your head and shoulders.

Unless you have a very large head there's surprisingly a lot of space in this area and you can share this space with a couple of small items that you might want to keep dry. I put my hygiene pack in there, spare socks, and Swanni shirt. You certainly have no room to cook (that would be a little dangerous as well) but there's space enough inside to read a book, nibble on some trail food and listen to the rain.

DSCN2246.jpg

There's a nice little touch inside of the roof of the hood where Snugpak have sewn in a piece of zipped, square, white netting. This is ideal for storing your head torch, providing your light and for stroing any loose items from your pockets.

DSCN2247.jpg

The head end (facing outwards) has fine mesh netting provided for ventilation. This is thin enough to keep the dreaded summer midge out of your sleeping area but you can also close it down somewhat by unrolling a triangular piece of material which will need to be pegged to the ground. It won't completely close up against the bag. If it did, despite being made of breathable material, I would imagine the bag would suffer badly from condensation.

DSCN2249.jpg

The other mesh vent is at the front of the face if you were laying face up in the bag. Left unattended it would just dangle down in at about chest level, but you have the option of rolling it up or zipping it to the outer material of the bivi bag. This second option encloses you completely yet allows a good deal of ventilation through the hood. I slept like this most of the weekend and there was no sign of condensation in the bag at all.

The alternative to zipping the netting up is to completely zip up and enclose the front or top of the bag in the outer material. I found this very clausterphobic, but if you are used to small tents, it's probably no worse than that. What it does do is completely keep out wind and rain. It also very quickly increases the temperature inside the bag and as long as the end vent is fully open, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of condensation as a result of this operation, but I didn't try this out for long.

DSCN2250.jpg

The material fabric top is 40D Nylon Ripstop, which is waterproof and moisture permeable: The bottom fabric is 70D Nylon Taffeta with PU Coating. The overall size (when erect): 90'' x 37'' x 42'': Packed size 14" x 4" x 6" inches and the weight is 1.4KG or around 46 ounces (including original pegs) (all this paragraph from the official blurb).

The size of the bag isn't a great issue and should be long enough to fit most folk. Width may be a problem for larger people and Unlike the ex-military bivi bag which has ample space inside, I'm not sure whether you would be able to stuff a large rucksack at the bottom of the bag in order to keep it dry. Perhaps a small one.

The zips were easy to use and didn't snag too often on the material. The long zip is on the right side of the bag and goes 3/4 of the way down the bag. This makes for easy entry which is a definate plus over most bivi bags. But you have to remember which side the zip is on when setting up. It's also a bit awkward if you have a sleeping bag that zips up on the left. There are extra velcro fastenings which closes extra material over the zips making them even more weather proof. All the seams appear to be well sealed with a layer of waterproof sealant.

I haven't tested fully how waterproof the whole bag is, as on my intial excursion with the Stratosphere, I also had a tarp, but I can say that the damp ground didn't ingress into the bottom of the bag at all. I'm not sure whether it would stand up to a full onslaught when open to the elements, but other reviewers have stated that they had no problems even in foul weather on open ground.

The nearest rival to this bag has is the Highlander Falcon, which is similarly styled. They're about the same price and roughly made out of the same material. The Falcon though has the vent at the top of the hood.

The Stratosphere ranges between £75-£90 (March 2008 prices).

All in all I'm quite impressed with the bag as a ground dwelling shelter. It will keep damp off and certainly makes for a cosy and warm environment once you're inside the bag. It is a little vision restrictive - but then, I suppose you don't have to deploy the hood.

In summer it will keep the mossies and midges at bay while providing good ventilation and you should be able to use it without tarp. Add a Thermarest and you should have a relatively comfortable nights kip (if you're a ground-dwelling that is).

Pablo.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the review!

Interesting type of bivi bag, looks quite comfy :)
But don't you think it's very heavy compared to other bivi bags like fe the Alpkit Hunka (0.388kg) or Snugpak Code Green Bivvy (0.340kg) or even compared to small tents? Do you know how much weight you won by replacing the included pegs? (friends of mine who don't dare ordering a hammock might be interested ;) )

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Snugpak, or ex army that is the question? Cain

Depends on whether you want to feel as though you're being smothered by your own bivvy bag or wake up thinking that you're in St. Paul's.

I think Pablo's review is enough to prompt me to increase the creaking and groaning of my abused bank account - it looks like a good bit of kit.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Sorry but I don't have scales accurate enough to weigh without the tent pegs, but I can say it is a significant saving.

The choice is down to you. You either want your head covered or not. That's the difference between this and open ended bivi bags like Alpkit and the army bivi bag.
Bear in mind it is a tad clausterphobic.

I think £88 is a bit pricey from woodland edge. I have seen them around £78 (retailers on evil bay).

EDIT: Just looked. Up to £89 ! Must be summer prices...

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I was seriously looking at the Snugpak but in the end I just couldn't get my head around the fact that waterproof nylon is breathable! In the end I got a once used gortex Terra Nova Jupiter from fleabay for the same price. However the Snugpak has better features- side zipped entry for starters whereas with the Jupiter you have to wiggle in! Now if they could make the Snugpak in goretex for not a lot more, they'd be onto a serious winner.

1ad4_1.jpg

ehedwr

Apr 17, 2007
Pontypool
Been wanting one of these Snugpak bivi's since I first saw em. I have an army issue bivi bag which I tested out overnight last year in the pouring rain. Kept me dry but was quite claustraphobic and lacking somewhat in fresh air. This one however looks like just the ticket.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the trick to issue bags is to turn them over and guy out the lid. they are more than big enough.

the army way - or at least one of them was to make a waterproof pillow package around your kit with a poncho, sleeping with you head on your beltkit and have a flap you could pull down or tie up as a baby basha just for your head. that was for when a basha was out of the question.

I've got a thing (actually three, 1 genuine two copies) of something called a freedom shelter from ecotat. still learning how to utilise its full potential but its basically a hooped bivvy tent which opens up to make a tropical shelter by adding a mossie panel or you can wear it as a huge poncho/coat etc..

the bags are cool too as you can wear those as well.

http://www.geocities.com/ecotat/right.htm

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Well after a lot of head scratching I've decided to order one up. Being new to this going outdoors thing I decided it was time to ditch the tent and try a bivi and tarp. Being a slight wuss and not wanting the material resting on my face or the SMA (Scottish Midge Army) devouring my delicate features I was chuffed to see this.

It should arrive today or tomorrow - only paid £80 inc 48hr delivery from www.cheaptents.co.uk (no connection, I just thought it was a good price and the chap i spoke to on the phone was very helpful). So it will get a road-test this weekend. I'll post with how I get on.

Ps - Pablo I am holding you responsible for this ;-) that great review swung it to this rather than a new tent.

Cheers

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I had one of these and tested out in Snowdonia last February and I regret to say that despite being a devoted snugpakker I would have to give this one the thumbs down. They are light and a neat idea but too fragile around the hoops. I didn't use a tarp in addition as it has a hood, if you need a tarp why have a hood (except for kit), in the morning I had frost on the bag and in the bag, so breathability may be an issue. The zips are fiddly too especially in the dark when coming around the curve in the front and being fine grade they catch in the nylon. In the end it went back to the supplier as the seam gave out, pulled out by the hoop. I replaced it with the special forces item - less to go wrong and if anyone is interested in how that one goes I will post something when next get out. I understand from the supplier that this is not an isolated experience.:eek:

Stephen

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Ah, erm.... Might take the old tent as well then this weekend. I did read on another site that someone had had a bad experience with it but he had left it out all night with nobody in it and with quite a bit of standing water on it.

I only plan to use this in fairer weather but if the build quality isn't there then it will have to go back.

I like having a tarp up to provide a bit of shelter for camp and also to divert some rain - the reason as stated for wanting the hoop is the bugs and material resting on the face - oh gawd I hope it's going to be ok.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Let us know how it works out, damp I can cope with, midgies are just not an option. The hooped hood looks so promising.

cheers,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
Make sure to leave both vents open, so your breath does not condense inside the bag, I left the rear one zipped up the first night and soaked the top of my down sleeping bag, luckily it was sunny the next day and it dried out no worries.

I cant tell you how it will fair in the rain, I had a tarp over the top as a living, storage area, but I can say the hooped section is excellent, the net pouch on the roof is just right for storing your glasses, I also had a fenix in there so I could read.

Forgot to say I used an exped down mat and pillow, and as Pablo said there is more than enough room in the head section to store things, like a water bottle, tissues etc

Clincher for me was the side entry, unzip both the bivi and your sleeping bag, get in and zip up, great, also good for those nighttime excursions.

Couple of things I did was chucked the steel :eek: tent pegs and used a combo of alpkit spikes and titanium pegs, also fitted longer lanyards on the zips, makes it easier to find and use them.

Regards

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE