question re Becker bk 16 scale removal

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
sorry this must be the daftest question but I can't find a hex or Allen key to fit the bolt head on my bk16

anyone know for sure what I need to buy?

I can't really just pop into b&q with it so I need some help please.

thanks in advance

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
yeah you would think wouldn't you ive tried 2 sets, imperial and metric.its not 4mm or 3mm but I have been told a 20 Torx might fit.

thanks for the help

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
yeah you would think wouldn't you ive tried 2 sets, imperial and metric.its not 4mm or 3mm but I have been told a 20 Torx might fit.

thanks for the help

I think you're right about the T20 bit. Here's part of a review:

Was gifted this excellent knife as a gift from my fellow U.S. Army Soldiers. A quality knife with a design towards survival and bushcraft. The option of two sets (Black and Coyote Brown) of handle scales was an added bonus. Knife was sharp out of the box and the black grit coating on the blade seems durable and causes very little drag during cutting. The handle feels great in your hand but could have been a little thicker for my likes. I am looking forward to the Factory Micarta Scales that are soon to be released by KA-BAR. The blade is very well balanced and easy to manage and maintain. The sheath was such a quality durable Molle sheath that it eliminates any desire to purchase or craft an after market version. My only gripe was that the hex tool screws are an odd in-between size. They require a T-20 key tool to remove and adjust. Even then I slightly stripped the inside of one...and have no future replacement if condition worsens. :( I am a Soldier....and I trust KA-BAR with my life! I would recommend this knife for anyone.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What imperial size hex did you try? I would be willing to bet money that they are 9/64 (3.572mm). The more common imperial sizes are 1/8 (3.175mm) and 5/32 (3.969mm) and it is quite possible that even a set of imperial Allen keys might not have all the 64th sizes.

A Torx T20 is about 3.4 to 3.5mm "across flats" so it would fit into a 9/64" hex socket, although it is not ideal.

I bought a "Bondhus.BLX 10 BALL END WRENCH SET" and been very happy to have some of those in-between sizes. A surprising number of US made bits of kit have these non-metric socket sizes.

Trotsky

Toolstation do a Draper set of allen keys in a box, full set of imperial and metric, one in either side. Not expensive either and useful in all manner of places!
Some imperial and metric keys and spanners are to some degree interchangeable, 5/32 and 4mm, 7/16 and 11mm, 9/16 and 14mm, 3/4 and 19mm, 1 1/16 and 27mm (known to Land Rover owners) to name a few

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It tends to be the larger sets of imperial allen keys that have the odd little 64th sizes....remember also it will almost certainly be imperial threaded too so dont try and force a metric bolt in there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE