Question of long term survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't consider it much of a challenge, as long as you do not become injured. If you set your trap lines good, that means two or three each with 30 to 50 traps, you will be able in most parts of the world to build up as supply of food to last several months. (drying the meat) Once you have the supply built up, even if you then become injured, you will probably be able to heal before running out of food. The only reason that two or more is needed is for the factor of one becoming injured. Of course, it would get very lonely after a while and the stress from that would be detrimental to survival.

You would be lucky to lay in several months of dried meat in the UK.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Sargy, please tell this old coot, i.e. me, how to show those links properly. Like you did above, instead of my convoluted way.

Thanks in advance.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
I've searched the whole forum but I was not able to find a post that imo was posted on this forum.
It was about the impossibility of long term solitary survival and based on the assumption that the only a group could organize tasks in such a way that the calories intake was greater than the consumption. It was a fascinating post and would lik to read it again.

Thanks in advance.

This was the thread that sprang to mind from your description.

Why even Ray Mears dies alone in the subarctic

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Lupis

This was the thread that sprang to mind from your description.

Why even Ray Mears dies alone in the subarctic
Interesting article.

In general (ie not directed at any single individual), as impressive as it seems, I do have some questions about the breakdown of calorie expenditure within this artcle that has been linked.

"Chopping/gathering wood: 2 hours, 1000 calories
Tending camp (odd jobs, etc.) 2 hours, 480 calories
Hunting: 4.5 hours, 1800 calories
Foraging: 3 hours, 1020 calories
"

Does all wood need to be chopped before it can burn?

Isn't breaking up wood with the fork of a tree an option as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEgOwpDXhI

If it's not an option, why isn't feeding it on as it burns an option (both alternatives to chopping save a hell of a lot of energy :) )

IMO, gathering should be done at the same time as hunting (therefore saving 1/2 of the estimated calories :) )

If fishing is an option for collecting flesh for food, set lines take bugger all energy to set up & bugger all to check twice a day whilst hunting/gathering :)

So by my very rough calculations, you could save at least half of the calorie expenditure for gathering wood & at least half the total hunting/gathering calorie expenditure.

Suddenly you have just saved yourself 1500 calories (about 25% of the daily required calories).

Since the original poster of this topic didn't specify a particular environment, I'll stick with my original opinion that it will be dependent on the individual, environment & time of year :)

Bear in mind that not all of the worlds environments have the same calorie requirements as the subartic :pokenest:

In some climates, water & its availability is of far more importance than calories :)

I guess that is the problem with international forums.

You'll get some smart a$$e from the Sth hemisphere pointing out that not everyone in the world lives in the Nth Hemisphere :pokenest:

Kind regards
Mick

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Sargy, please tell this old coot, i.e. me, how to show those links properly. Like you did above, instead of my convoluted way.

Thanks in advance.

no worries. just to complicate things, there are three ways of doing it.
one automatic, one manual, and one clever one where the link is built into the text.

the first step in all three cases is to copy your link. once you've found the page or thread you want to link to, simply highlight the whole of the address in the toolbar. rightclick and copy. then you can just rightclick and paste directly into your post. with a bit of luck the forum software will recognise it, and convert it into a link.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/index.php

you could turn your address into a link manually, by typing URL tags round it. you need to put [/url] at the end, and at the beginning, the address of y...rl]http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/index.php"]the "world wide" web[/URL]. highlight a peice of your text that you want to turn into a link, then click on the toolbutton. a dialogue box will appear asking you for the URL of your website, just rightclick and paste the address and click on ok.

hope this helps, if it's not clear, just drop me a PM.

cheers, and.

Last edited:

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
G'day Lupis

Interesting article.

In general (ie not directed at any single individual), as impressive as it seems, I do have some questions about the breakdown of calorie expenditure within this artcle that has been linked.

"Chopping/gathering wood: 2 hours, 1000 calories
Tending camp (odd jobs, etc.) 2 hours, 480 calories
Hunting: 4.5 hours, 1800 calories
Foraging: 3 hours, 1020 calories
"

Does all wood need to be chopped before it can burn?

Isn't breaking up wood with the fork of a tree an option as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEgOwpDXhI

If it's not an option, why isn't feeding it on as it burns an option (both alternatives to chopping save a hell of a lot of energy :) )

I'm no expert but the wood in that video looks dead and rotten so would be relatively easy to break. The same can't be said for all wood. Feeding it to the fire rather than chopping it would, to my mind, mean burning it where you find it, if it's a big chunk of wood, otherwise you're going to have to do something with it before carting it back to your camp. I'm thinking the majority of the calories burnt are from the gathering part rather than the chopping itself. I'm assuming the subarctic region is relatively sparsely populated by trees, which I could well be wrong about, but would explain the calorie burn as you'd have to travel a fair distance to find the wood in the first place.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Lupis

Admittedly it's not a great quality video, but it looks fairly rotten to me from the way it breaks. :p
That's alright mate :)

I won't loose any sleep if you don't believe me :p

BTW, I take it that living in Scotland, you have a lot of experience with Aussie trees :)

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've searched the whole forum but I was not able to find a post that imo was posted on this forum.
It was about the impossibility of long term solitary survival and based on the assumption that the only a group could organize tasks in such a way that the calories intake was greater than the consumption. It was a fascinating post and would lik to read it again.

Thanks in advance.

Is this the one you wanted? It's something I posted about the calorie math of solo survival vs. group survival.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45703&highlight=mears+dies

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
G'day Lupis

That's alright mate :)

I won't loose any sleep if you don't believe me :p

BTW, I take it that living in Scotland, you have a lot of experience with Aussie trees :)

Kind regards
Mick
My apologies if that is your youtube video, I assumed you'd just found it online and were using it as an example. If so I will, of course, take your word that it isn't rotten. :)

I don't have much (read any :p) experience of Australian trees, but I do believe that the trees in Scotland are much more akin to what you'd find in the subarctic, which is after all what the article I linked to is about. ;)

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Lupis

My apologies if that is your youtube video, I assumed you'd just found it online and were using it as an example. If so I will, of course, take your word that it isn't rotten. :)
Yep that's my video :)

Really no need to appologise as it wasn't clear that my comments were comming from first hand experience.

Besides, I think it's a good thing to be prepared to question what you see & read on the net goodjob

Kind regards
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE