Question for the Finns - salmiakki what sort to try?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT and son1 love the stuff.
Ikea sells it if someone in Scandinavia doesn't arrange some for you. The Finnish stuff is apparantly excellent.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. J says that his Finnish friends swap him salmiakki for Tetley teabags :D

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
The Dutch do it too, bit of an acquired taste, but I love it! It's sold here in Brixham in one of those 'olde fashioned sweete shoppes' but, if you google it you'll find all sorts of places selling it!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Simon Mayo had a salty liquorice eating Scandinavian on his show a while ago. It seems that that there are many types of it but it sounded quite an acquired taste.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Its definitely an acquired taste. My mate brings me loads back when he comes back offshore. He works for a Norwegian company and they give it away on the vessels he works on. The also do liquorice ripple ice cream! mmmmm

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Ate that crap by the handful many years ago as a kid.
No I just can not stand it anymore. Makes me sick in the stomage, literally. Maybe they changed the ingredients?

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Be aware it is both laxative and have a very negative effect on your blood pressure. If you are on any kind of bloodpressure/heart medicine you should stay clear.
I love it, but can't eat much of it.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got my selection package of salmiakki yesterday and it's great! Not as strong as I was expecting but maybe they don't put the really strong stuff in this selection.
Think it's a very marmite style taste, as in you will either like it or not. (Tastes noting like marmite)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE