Question char cloth making

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
We have all seen the videos on youtube and then made some char cloth of our own. Its always made in small tins my question is can it be made in large biscuit tins on a larger scale?.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It can, but it's not straightforward.
If the tin warps (and the bigger they are, the easier it is) then air gets in and the whole thing can be burned and ruined.
It's also hard to get enough heat, long enough, without oxygen, to actually char the inner layers when it's a big pile.

Easiest way we've found is a smallish tin and a good blowtorch :D

M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It sure can.

The easiest construction I've actually done is get two old food cans, cut the rims off both (use the can opener the wrong way), cut an inch or so vertical slit in one, put cloth in, shove cans togeter so slit one is over the top of t'other. The riges hold it together and the fit is ropey enough to let some gas escape without exploding.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
I used an old syrup tin worked a treat I have also done it with a tin I bought in pound land it has two wee clips at the side I made a heap last night and tried it today to make a coffee while out mooching around

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a syrup or treacle tin that we use too :) They're kind of solid somehow and work very well. We also used a flat one with a hinged lid (originally came with a wee torch and a keyring multi tool thing in it; some random Man's gift from one of the outdoor stores) and that has proved very good indeed :D

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I no longer make char cloth but when I did found that smaller tins worked better than larger tins, in my case I'd use one or more 'tobacco' tins. The char cloth 'cooked' fast and evenly where with bigger tins you could find almost powdered char cloth on the outside and uncooked char cloth toward the middle.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've had the hole in a syrup tin lid clog up in the fire and pop off at Mach 37, flying between the eldests and my head as we sat by the fire, shoulder to shoulder. I've now a tarty tin made by my tinsmith friends using no solder, just folds. Works lovely.

atb

Tom

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
For years I used the same one quart wood stain can. It seems to have snuck off, so have been using a large saddlesoap/shoe polish tin.

The one quart can worked very well. I crumpled each piece of cloth before dropping it in, creating more space in between, and after the first stage of smoke passed, I could shake it gently to reposition the cloth inside for a more thorough processing. The trick is to keep the fabric loose and not packed.

The one quart also is easier to put pieces of punk into.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Old pellet tins from .177 range work nicely too!

Altoids mints (or M&S mints, same thing - 99p)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have made large batches of char-cloth for events in the past, but I've not had any great success in storing it for any length of time if you are hoping to store it for future use.

The Charred cloth I find to be very sensitive to humidity, the longer it is between making it and using it, the less likely it is to take a spark, or it will need a hotter/bigger/more sparks before it ignites.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The linen stuff I make dries out quickly enough if left on a radiator for a bit. Being a bit AR ( I'm told) I pre cut the material to fit the end container . I don't know if its because its flax linen but the charred cloth is remarkably robust and can take being handled quite well. When I make a batch I tend to dip about half with KNO3 solution left over from making slow match and spread it out on Teflon baking trays . Once dry you can't tell they have been doctored and they light on the first spark hitting them. I use them in a tin which has a damper plate to put them out once a sulphur match has been lit. They do burn faster. I keep one doctored layer on top and the rest on the bottom of the ad of char cloth.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE