Question about wool insulation and felt

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
(Those are 'souvenirs' from your partners? The bones :) )

When you boil the felted wool to finish it, how much does it shrink? 50% ?
My last partner died a few years ago from a stroke so yes that is all I have left....... I ate the rest!
You don't have to boil needle felted wool.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Janne
I remember from a course I did decades ago that they used cleaned, unwashed wool, carded, then rolled it between hides, beat it, then boiled. It was course in traditional Swedish (peasant) handicrafts.

The boiling shrank it, and removed the fat. I think I remember they added something to the water. Household soda?
I think it was the same stuff we traditionally boil the soaked Dried Cod in.

Getting old(er) is hell, you forget!
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE