Question about a forge

Jun 19, 2012
wakefield
Hi ive recently made some knifes and throwing spikes and need a forge to heat treat them i have a few questions

a)i have an old bbq and wondered if i could use a large fan blowing onto the fire rather than a blower beneath the fire

b)i have multiple types of fuel coal.charcoal and smokeless fuel(coke) whats best?

c)how long should i leave the forge once lit before putting the fan on and putting the metal into the forge?

Many thanks

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
In a short summary;

A) some form of tuyere or tue iron is required to deliver the blast to the forge in a concentrated jet. This could be anything from a clay nozzle to a stainless piece of tube.

B) Sunbrite Singles coke or Monckton Coke (the same thing but different brands) are good types of coke for smithing. Charcoal is also brilliant, but I have little experience with it, so cant comment on brands etc. Look for a uniform size of fuel (about 10-15mm) regardless of which you end up choosing in terms of coke or charcoal.

C) That really depends upon how well the fire takes hold and how strong your blower is. You need a good sized sweet spot before you open up the air. If you have a good way of regulating the air input, a increase gradually until you get a feel for it.

Happy smithing :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Actually silverhill bud you can get away with just pointing it at the fire.
But it's not as effective.

I pointed my hair drier at the fire at the comrie meet which worked well enough.

Charcoal is pretty good but coke is the best.

Shop bought charcoal tends to spit and spark all over the place which is annoying at best. I recommend finding a charcoal manufacturer and buying direct.
Charcoal burns hot but very quickly.

Coke burns slow.

Silverhill's part C. Covers your third question very well.

All the best
andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Actually silverhill bud you can get away with just pointing it at the fire.
But it's not as effective.

I pointed my hair drier at the fire at the comrie meet which worked well enough.

That's probably true actually. I tried it with a bouncy castle blower and it blew the fuel out of the forge :/

A smaller air source is probably a good idea. :)

Jun 19, 2012
wakefield
Ok i now have a different idea.I have a foot pump similiar to the ones blacksmiths use.i can attach it to a steel bar and place the bar in the core of the fire beneath it and pump it like a bellow
Would this work?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
It sounds like a good idea Matt, although a hair dryer as Andy suggested may be a less tiring alternative, allowing you to concentrate on managing the fire. A piece of stainless tube tapered to a point would make a good temporary tuyere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE