Quarantine Self Care?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What problems and solutions have come up regarding your routines? In my case I’d gone about 6 to 8 weeks without a haircut and the barber shops are a no go. I solved the problem by getting a haircut kit and yesterday my daughter cut mine and the youngest grandson’s hair.

So what part of your routine from pre isolation has been disrupted and is causing you a loss of morale? Just as importantly, how have you dealt with it?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im covered with feathers after losing them for a while (very itchy and still cant fly though I have tried. Need more practice?)

And so the hair too is now long and drags everywhere. It gets in my mouth when eating. (Which probably says too much about my feeding style)

Im considering tying it back.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Every other day I'm looking after our seven year old son. With strict instructions to not be allow screen time before 2pm!!!!:rolleyes::banghead:

That isn't easy since schoolwork is all screen based through the internet now. I'm learning that making pointless Lego things is a form of meditation. Things like making a box out of the 1xN pegs in the thin pieces. I liken it to the Buddhist water bowl meditation. My son likes it when I make Lego while he's playing with it.

I think I'm likely to need professional help to adjust to being close to normal after lockdown has ended!

Btw I'm not good at childcare / teaching.

Oh and I'm being stalked by our border terrier. She won't leave me for long and often lies down on my feet or against my legs. I think she's psychologically scarred by us all being home.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have lost almost all of our income for the rest of the year and moved my mother into the smallholding as I wasn't comfortable with the idea of her self isolating in a retirement flat alone, without outside space. We cannot sell eggs (as food or for breeding) & our employment has dried up due to projects being suspended.

An extra mouth to feed, lockdown & massive income drop means that we will get to find out just how good I am at self sufficiency. Its on me to ensure we are fed & warm. I'm feeling the pressure of that. A lot. Many are worse off than us so I have no complaints, but it hit us hard. I've tried to explain what we are doing in this week's video, but its hard to explain the feeling of responsibility.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We have lost almost all of our income for the rest of the year and moved my mother into the smallholding as I wasn't comfortable with the idea of her self isolating in a retirement flat alone, without outside space. We cannot sell eggs (as food or for breeding) & our employment has dried up due to projects being suspended.

An extra mouth to feed, lockdown & massive income drop means that we will get to find out just how good I am at self sufficiency. Its on me to ensure we are fed & warm. I'm feeling the pressure of that. A lot. Many are worse off than us so I have no complaints, but it hit us hard. I've tried to explain what we are doing in this week's video, but its hard to explain the feeling of responsibility.

Have you investigated the potential support from the government?
Universal Credit for loss of work if you haven’t been furloughed, is your mother entitled to any additional help, Pension Credit, can you get Carers Allowance, Attendance Allowance?

Sent using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Definitely look into how the state can help. These are difficult times without major financial issues on top. I've had to resort to state aid a few times. Overall I've paid more in than the benefits I've claimed. I've even not claimed what I could because I've been able to manage without it. That doesn't mean I wasn't glad of the help when I really needed it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm doing OK. I'm saving cash by not buying anything. Luckily I have a fairly good larder and can forage if I need to. Growing more food in my garden than I normaly do.lots of making stuff. Today I used a tuna can and a nail to make a new rose for my watering can. Yesterday made another penny stove and two parracord bracelets. Also started to make a cotton mask. Just finding useful things to do about the house.
Missing getting on the bike and meeting up with friends. Missing going to the beach on a warm day. Missing visiting friends localy but realy not finding it too much of a strain. Just a bit lonely.
Was supposed to be hammock camping in the new forest this week with friends and seeing my daughter and grandkids.
That's a bit of a disappointment, but realy though I feel sad about that I feel safer at home for now.
Life could be worse and it has been, so I'm just realy thankful I'm fed, safe, and well. What more could I ask?
I must admit to having a bit of cabin fever now and then, but I just picture myself in a hospital on a ventilator, and it soon passes!
I'm lucky to have a garden and live in a rural setting. It must be awfully if you live in a bedsit or flat in a town or city.or working as a key workers or have a mortgage or have kids at home. I can see why anyone would would worry then. I feel for those people.
I'm just so lucky for once in my life. Not that I'm feeling at all great about what's happening, but I don't feel I can moan about things.
I do miss being able to get a few bits and bobs I could do with.. ie get the push mower sharpened, or get my garden waste taken away but seriously if that's all I'm worried about then things can't be too bad.
The future may be a different matter if this carries on mind, but for now for me it's a case of sit tight and let the storm pass over. (I hope)
What worries me most is if this carries on for more than a few months. Loneliness will become a big problem.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you investigated the potential support from the government?
Universal Credit for loss of work if you haven’t been furloughed, is your mother entitled to any additional help, Pension Credit, can you get Carers Allowance, Attendance Allowance?

Sent using Tapatalk

We have looked into it, thanks but the nature of our business (we are self employed) makes it complicated. Fiona is an accountant so we understand how these things work. We will get by & I'm not complaining, just feeling the pressure. But that's okay

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm doing OK. I'm saving cash by not buying anything. Luckily I have a fairly good larder and can forage if I need to. Growing more food in my garden than I normaly do.lots of making stuff. Today I used a tuna can and a nail to make a new rose for my watering can. Yesterday made another penny stove and two parracord bracelets. Also started to make a cotton mask. Just finding useful things to do about the house.
Missing getting on the bike and meeting up with friends. Missing going to the beach on a warm day. Missing visiting friends localy but realy not finding it too much of a strain. Just a bit lonely.
Was supposed to be hammock camping in the new forest this week with friends and seeing my daughter and grandkids.
That's a bit of a disappointment, but realy though I feel sad about that I feel safer at home for now.
Life could be worse and it has been, so I'm just realy thankful I'm fed, safe, and well. What more could I ask?
I must admit to having a bit of cabin fever now and then, but I just picture myself in a hospital on a ventilator, and it soon passes!
I'm lucky to have a garden and live in a rural setting. It must be awfully if you live in a bedsit or flat in a town or city.or working as a key workers or have a mortgage or have kids at home. I can see why anyone would would worry then. I feel for those people.
I'm just so lucky for once in my life. Not that I'm feeling at all great about what's happening, but I don't feel I can moan about things.
I do miss being able to get a few bits and bobs I could do with.. ie get the push mower sharpened, or get my garden waste taken away but seriously if that's all I'm worried about then things can't be too bad.
The future may be a different matter if this carries on mind, but for now for me it's a case of sit tight and let the storm pass over. (I hope)
What worries me most is if this carries on for more than a few months. Loneliness will become a big problem.
Seems like you're coping quite well, during the circumstances. Are you able to keep in touch with friends and family via other means? It's not the same, I know, but it does help.

I'm enjoying spending more time with DH and am making sure to call/email/message family members more often than usual.

We've made the most of the good weather and the flexibility of working from home and done a lot of clearing of the garden. Since the tip isn't open and we don't have space for a bonfire, we now have two huge mountains of garden waste, one in each corner of the garden.

I am thinking of sprinkling borage seeds everywhere, just for the hell of it, and to fill in the blanks. At least it's useful for the bees, and it's pretty. :)

I was thinking of getting the hammocks up, but it's been quite cold in the evenings here and we are fairly exposed to the wind here.

I'm trying to put extra effort into making nice meals while using what we've got carefully. Today DH decided to have o go ot making crisps (after a month of no crisps) and managed to make fairly decent ones using 3 potatoes and the microwave. :)

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... Today DH decided to have o go ot making crisps (after a month of no crisps) and managed to make fairly decent ones using 3 potatoes and the microwave. :)
please elaborate a bit. I’ve never thought of other than frying them.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
please elaborate a bit. I’ve never thought of other than frying them.
What he did was soaking thinly sliced potatoes in several changes of cold water (to draw out the starch) for a minimum of 30 minutes, then pat it dry and put in a ziplock bag with some oil and massage the potatoes. Transfer potato slices to a plate and microwave and microwave for at least 4 minutes. Timings are very oven-dependent so experiment! We've got a 1000W one and did 4 min plus 30s intervals until done. Use a spatula to dislodge from plate and and sprinkle with salt and herbs. Apparently you can also do them in a regular oven at 90-150*C but we didn't try that.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Seems like you're coping quite well, during the circumstances. Are you able to keep in touch with friends and family via other means? It's not the same, I know, but it does help.

I'm enjoying spending more time with DH and am making sure to call/email/message family members more often than usual.

We've made the most of the good weather and the flexibility of working from home and done a lot of clearing of the garden. Since the tip isn't open and we don't have space for a bonfire, we now have two huge mountains of garden waste, one in each corner of the garden.

I am thinking of sprinkling borage seeds everywhere, just for the hell of it, and to fill in the blanks. At least it's useful for the bees, and it's pretty. :)

I was thinking of getting the hammocks up, but it's been quite cold in the evenings here and we are fairly exposed to the wind here.

I'm trying to put extra effort into making nice meals while using what we've got carefully. Today DH decided to have o go ot making crisps (after a month of no crisps) and managed to make fairly decent ones using 3 potatoes and the microwave. :)

Those crisps sound great. I've eaten my stash! May get some more potatoes and give them a go. Will have to be oven or fryer tho as I don't have a microwave.
I get a phone call from one or other of my pals most days or i phone them. Not quite the same as face to face with a cuppa but it's fine.
I have a stay in bed day once a week and then spend late into the night star watching. We have the lyrid meteor shower 16-25th April. Peaking on the 23rd. Worth a late night to watch.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What he did was soaking thinly sliced potatoes in several changes of cold water (to draw out the starch) for a minimum of 30 minutes, then pat it dry and put in a ziplock bag with some oil and massage the potatoes. Transfer potato slices to a plate and microwave and microwave for at least 4 minutes. Timings are very oven-dependent so experiment! We've got a 1000W one and did 4 min plus 30s intervals until done. Use a spatula to dislodge from plate and and sprinkle with salt and herbs. Apparently you can also do them in a regular oven at 90-150*C but we didn't try that.
I agree with Woody Girl, they do sound great. I’ve always just sliced them thin and fried them then seasoned them. Your way sounds like it’s also less messy.

Reactions: SaraR
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What problems and solutions have come up regarding your routines? In my case I’d gone about 6 to 8 weeks without a haircut and the barber shops are a no go. I solved the problem by getting a haircut kit and yesterday my daughter cut mine and the youngest grandson’s hair.
You are obviously lucky enough to have hair on top still santa man, some do such already due to being in a folical emergency.

Hoping you are ok with everything else

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You are obviously lucky enough to have hair on top still santa man, some do such already due to being in a folical emergency.

Hoping you are ok with everything else
Thanks. Yes, the nephrectomy is this coming Tuesday. The even said one person can come with me to check in and then see me in recovery before I go to a regular room. That’ll be Barbara. However no visitors after that.

Reactions: petrochemicals

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Checked on the bees this afternoon - all seemed well - and then sat and watched the ducks' antics while a loaf of graham bread and some rolls were in the oven. All in all quite relaxing.

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Checked on the bees this afternoon - all seemed well - and then sat and watched the ducks' antics while a loaf of graham bread and some rolls were in the oven. All in all quite relaxing.
SaraR Put some pics up on that axe post today pollen coming in.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE