Quality traditional tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I will say it dries pretty well if you keep it pitched rather than hang it up to dry. I also sleep with head to door as the walls are not very high. Or I sleep across it near the door. As I use it solo it doesn't realy matter which way I sleep. I do use a large double blow up matress. I guess if you had just a mat it wouldn't be so much of a problem sleeping with feet to door. But I sleep with head to door in most tents anyway. The porch does not have a groundsheet so you might need an extra bit for that if you plan to store gear in the porch area. I just take a small bit of a lightweight plastic groundsheet that gave up the ghost years ago. But as it's mainly cooking gear outside I don't normaly worry too much. Plenty of room inside for a kit bag or rucksack even with two people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I will say it dries pretty well if you keep it pitched rather than hang it up to dry. I also sleep with head to door as the walls are not very high. Or I sleep across it near the door. As I use it solo it doesn't realy matter which way I sleep. I do use a large double blow up matress. I guess if you had just a mat it wouldn't be so much of a problem sleeping with feet to door. But I sleep with head to door in most tents anyway. The porch does not have a groundsheet so you might need an extra bit for that if you plan to store gear in the porch area. I just take a small bit of a lightweight plastic groundsheet that gave up the ghost years ago. But as it's mainly cooking gear outside I don't normaly worry too much. Plenty of room inside for a kit bag or rucksack even with two people.
Many thanks, for your thoughts. I'm a bit nervous about the canvas and drying it if I'm honest as I don't have a very big garden to pitch a tent of that size. My alternative option is one of the Helsport lavvu's

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't have a garden with enough space to pitch it either. I hang it on the washing line. In fact a rotary drier is better as you can put it on top flat and let it dry that way aswell.
One fact I forgot is that it pitches as an all in one. So quick to pitch and strike.
Don't be put off. A cracking tent with proper care it will last a lifetime. As with any cotton or cotton canvass care and proper drying is critical. I use my 3x3 tarp as an extra fly if needed. I now have a 4x4 so am sure I can keep it totaly dry. Even if it was packed dry, I always air it again when I get home to make sure it's perfectly dry. If you have a garage that you can rig up something to hang it from that will work too. I've been known to put it over the bathroom door and keep turning it to dry it out after it got wet once. Hence the extra insurance of the tarp.. not realy nessasary though. Just me being extra carefull as I can't afford to replace it.
It's absolutely my favourite tent.. though nowadays I mainly hammock.
I've spent a week at a time in this when I used to go to Sidmouth folk festival, and had a car. When weather was rough I never had any problems camping up on the cliffs with it. Friends in nylon tents did! To be totaly honest I'd have gone for the cherokee if I'd had the extra spodoola. But realy it would have been a bit too big! Poly cotton cavas dries much faster than ordainary canvas anywayy

Last edited:
Reactions: Barney Rubble

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@SCOMAN

Tschum is made by one single man.

I know the guy and I visited his work space. It's a one man show.

The tents are custom made like the knifes of famous knife makers.

If you order custom made shoes you also have to wait half a year or even longer...

Reactions: SCOMAN

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
@SCOMAN

Tschum is made by one single man.

I know the guy and I visited his work space. It's a one man show.

The tents are custom made like the knifes of famous knife makers.

If you order custom made shoes you also have to wait half a year or even longer...

I absolutely agree and I’m sure it would be a beautiful thing. As I said I’m impulsive and had moved on. I’d still like one though.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@SCOMAN

If you are still interested, just call him and tell him, that I explained you here the situation. I think he will not be angry with you.

The guy sits next to Bielefeld by the way, where they have a good modern youth hostel and it's usually possible to stay for a night on his ground too, if real bushcrafters come with sleeping bag. Once I slept there in the Tschum in his large garden two winters ago and was sitting by the fire with him for an evening. Its a nice hiking area as well.

That tents are made from the best materials he can get.

But because I own several very similar tents (Kohte) I just bought from him an ultralight Luxe Outdoor Silhexpeak V4a, what is constructed by him but made in China. Sewing Silnylon isn't his prevered work...
This light little tent is very convincing as well.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
You know what I really like about vintage tents ?

Silence !

No fuziiiiiiip of zips in the middle of the night, and no tearing Velcro noises. My old Blacks tent has a double "ribbon" affair that securely closes things up around the pole, and you can hoist up the walls when it's hot outside. I use it sparingly these days, as I don't want to destroy it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes I realy hate that zip noise late at night!
I'm always very tempted to shout out "we know where your going ! " ;) it's always just when you are beginning to drop off to sleep and it wakes you up. Then it happens again when they get back in so there is no point on trying to fall asleep again untill they come back. So you end up wide awake for ages longer... or is that just me?
Someone needs to invent silent zips and velcro!!!

FlorianHomeier

Oct 29, 2019
Bad Salzuflen Germany
Hi there :)

Concerning Tschum, there is no reduction of the leadtime in sight, it is more likely to raise further...

@SCOMAN : It is understandable that the long lead time leads to some people changing their mind... no problem at all.

@Erbswurst : The V4a in its original design was created by Michael Wong, the founder of Luxeoutdoor. I just had some influence on the later modifications.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Lovely little tent. Lots of ventilation with an adjustable hat at the top and a half moon unzip able pannel in the sidewall like on bell tents. Good area at the front for kit storage and cooking out of the wind. Not quite tall enough to stand in the sleeping area but enough to be able to put your trousers on (I'm 5.6)
I sometimes put a tarp over it to make a "roof" for the porch area and keep the canvas a bit dryer as with all non nylon tents it's a pain to dry if you have to pack up wet.
Cooler in summer. Warmer in the autumn. . Not tried it in winter.
Only one pole which is outside the sleeping area so doesn't clutter that bit up.
I like large tents for solo use. This is a four man.. but would be cosy with four if you get my meaning. For one it's fabulous for two fine. You can get a double air bed in with plenty of room for kit and moving about inside. Yes I love it. Looks cool.
Drawbacks for me..
could do with a tad more height another 6 in or so. But not a real problem.
Heavy when wet.. par for the course.
Not backpack able but it wasn't designed for that. Good carry bag tho.
Pain to dry when wet.. again par for the course.
Would be excellent for car or canoe camping.

(Re Robens Fairbanks) It is indeed brilliant for the canoe!! Love it!
( this years version now 65% polyester 35% cotton, sadly)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE