Quality traditional tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
This lavvus are portable in 2 pieces, handmade by only one person in Germany.
They have an outstanding high quality and are mainly custom made on demand.

YOU CAN LIGHT A WELL SIZED FIRE INSIDE THE TSCHUM 4P WITHOUT USING AN OVEN. IT IS DESIGNED TO SLEEP IN IT NEXT TO THE FIRE.
BUT YOU CAN USE AN OVEN AS WELL, IF YOU ORDER THE TENT LIKE THIS. HE OFFERS TENT OVENS TOO.

https://tschum.de/product_info.php?info=p6_tschum-4p-katun.html

The guy speaks English of course.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Tortuga was founded by employees of the old traditional tent making manufacturer Strohmeier which closed the doors. Tortuga continues the old great work.

The Kohte, portable in 4 pieces, is the traditional German boy Scout tent.

YOU CAN LIGHT A WELL SIZED FIRE INSIDE THIS TENTS WITHOUT USING AN OVEN.
THEY ARE MADE TO SLEEP NEXT TO THE FIRE.

6 pieces make a roof of a Jurte. The side walls are traditionally made with 12 rectangular 165x165 tent sheeds of the German Heer of WW1.

https://tortuga-gmbh.de/kohten/

You can buy the stuff here.

https://www.fahrtenbedarf.de/cgi-bin/shop/iboshop.cgi?showd211000!0,606901215818984,211119

The Kohte usually is constructed like that, but works with one or two inner poles as well.

Here is another seller who made a lot of explaining videos. Unfortunately just in German.

https://www.jurtenland.de/shop/komplette-Kohte-S-00-52-KD-38

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Robson Valley

If you asked me:

The tents I gave the links for, Kohte, are mainly made for hiking Boy Scout groups, between 4 persons and 6 adults or up to 8 children, to camp in all conditions including in snow, but not on thick snow.

The Tschum is made for hiking families for example, where two persons are carrying the load, but here fit 4 or even more persons in as well.

The Jurte is made for Scout camps mainly. 30 youngsters fit in there easily, sitting and singing around the fire.
The constructions can be connected to get very large tents for more than 200 people.

https://www.jurtenland.de/content/der-jurtendom

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think Technolen bought the Stromeyer rights? Their website indicate that.
But now they themselves are owned by a German company.
Both websites ( post numero uno) have English.

Finnish is a language only Legends and Heroes speak.
I only know a few words and expressions, which can not be spoken in presence of children, ladies and snowflakes.

:)

( I am not a Legend or a Hero, but certainly not the white fluffy stuff!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't know who bought what.
I didn't follow that.

I have more than enough of the stuff and I am sure that the Boy Scouts will take care that those tents will not die out.

I think that all hangs together with Tencate somehow who delivers the fabrics.

Yes, Tencate is DUTCH.

:)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I realy love canvas wall tents. I had a patrol tent for years untill the mice ate it! :( . It was so heavy to transport and with only a little fiat car a bit too bulky! Long since gone to the tip but I do miss it.
I now have a polycotton robens fairbanks. Massively lighter... though still heavy and not for backpacking. Hate with a vengeance nylon plastic tents! That's why I now use a hammock and/or tarp. Too stuffy otherwise and then there is condensation and the poles snap or the elastic goes the wind makes it snap and crackle causing loss of sleep... give me canvas if I have to be closed in!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I used to have a little white cotton tent with tie up doors light wooden poles that came apart into two pieces and you had to put in a separate groundsheet.
Took my daughter camping in it one weekend. Woke up early and noticed there were some hot air balloons in the sky a way off. So I quietly took the tent down being carefull not to wake her (tricky manoeuvre! ) lay down in my bag again and gently woke her saying look ! There are balloons in the sky!
She groggily looked up and said oh yeah! And lay down again.. only to seconds later sit up in panic.
WHERE'S THE TENT? she yells.
I murmer sleepily, what tent?
By now she's out of her bag in total panic thinking someone stole the tent overnight.
I kept it going as long as I could keep a straight face... which wasn't for long!
Wicked mommy! :) :) :) :)
Couldn't do that with a modern nylon tent.
It's still the first thing she talks about every time we remaniss about our adventures together.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My earliest bush crafting ( with dad) was spent under a 1 1/2 man canvas test
My fondest memories are that when it rained we could not touch the fab4ic, as that would let the water trickle through. Water surface tension?

Being a small tent, it was tricky not to touch the sides.
Then we bought a Fjällräven High tech tent. 1970? 71? I was about 10 by then.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We always had a blue Woods 9' x 12' canvas tent with a floor and a HUGE tarp for rain and outdoor shelter space.
With the tarp tied down in a rainstorm, inside that tent was a wonderful noisy place to be.
The 2-burner green Coleman stove and 2 Coleman lanterns (petrol) made for cozy living.
Seemed to feed a family of 4 with no problems!

Set up the tent, fires and wood, water, fish-cleaning.
All jobs for us kids just as soon as we were big enough.

So, what's it going to be? Center pole inside or an external frame?

I didn't start to live in the Woods Prospector tents until I was in Uni
and had very well-paying summer jobs in northern Canada.
Pony walls and the tent nailed to the top edge of that.
Serious Airtite heater wood stove meant we lived with the door open a lot of the time.
Otherwise, those tents are really gloomy. A coupl of modern plastic windows are now
standard.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I had a Tschum ordered, it was 6 months lead time. I accept I can be impulsive but by the time 4 months was through I cancelled my order. They refunded no problem which was nice. Lovely kit though and with a 6 months lead time definitely handmade.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lovely little tent. Lots of ventilation with an adjustable hat at the top and a half moon unzip able pannel in the sidewall like on bell tents. Good area at the front for kit storage and cooking out of the wind. Not quite tall enough to stand in the sleeping area but enough to be able to put your trousers on (I'm 5.6)
I sometimes put a tarp over it to make a "roof" for the porch area and keep the canvas a bit dryer as with all non nylon tents it's a pain to dry if you have to pack up wet.
Cooler in summer. Warmer in the autumn. . Not tried it in winter.
Only one pole which is outside the sleeping area so doesn't clutter that bit up.
I like large tents for solo use. This is a four man.. but would be cosy with four if you get my meaning. For one it's fabulous for two fine. You can get a double air bed in with plenty of room for kit and moving about inside. Yes I love it. Looks cool.
Drawbacks for me..
could do with a tad more height another 6 in or so. But not a real problem.
Heavy when wet.. par for the course.
Not backpack able but it wasn't designed for that. Good carry bag tho.
Pain to dry when wet.. again par for the course.
Would be excellent for car or canoe camping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE