quality locker!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all,
I need a general purpose lock knife with a decent sized blade, £20 tops. Other than opinels any other thoughts?
cheers
Wilderbeast will
*EDIT* should mention I want straight not serrated edge!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
There are some Jack Pyke lock knives which come in under £20, never seen one for real so can't give an opinion but they look fairly tough, one I recall was the 'Gamekeeper' (I think) One of the surplus/outdoor type websites has them.

pwb

Eka knives make a knife with wooden handles and called the swede 82 ,a little outside your guide price at £30 odd quid, I've use a near identical knife called the 'Nor- Mark Super Swede' for about 19 years, a very strong knife. They also make a smaller model the 'swede 88' but I've not tried it, its priced around the £20 mark looks good but maybe a bit small for your needs.
I see Heinnie Haynes stock the 82 but there's a wait for the 88 :

http://www.heinnie.com/eveckl1045791/Knives/EKA/c-1-92-134/

Or what about Victoinox lock knives, they are good and there's models around the £20 pound mark. There's also the Tool Logic SL1 and 2 but I've no experience of them.

Pete.

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
how about a gerber magnum? I have 2 gerber knives and thaey take and hold an edge very well indeed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GERBER-Magnum-L-S-T-Camping-Hunting-Knife-w-Sheath_W0QQitemZ160309102105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Knives_Tools?hash=item160309102105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
The spyderco tenacious shouldn't come in too far above that price range.

i'd reccommend spending a small amount more and buying a buck 110 or 112, they're bulletproof

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The spyderco tenacious shouldn't come in too far above that price range.

I'd recommend spending a small amount more and buying a buck 110 or 112, they're bulletproof

Another vote for the Tenacious. Much lighter than the Bucks and you're not as likely to break the point off. IMO the spydie is easier to clean after dirty work as well

Mind you, Buck do a "for life" guarantee that's worth having.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Another vote for the Tenacious, probably the best folding knife in the World for its price, its worth a hell of a lot more than its being sold for IMO.

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
+1 for the Byrd line. We own several Byrd blades, and they take, and hold a very fine edge, love being stropped, and are very affordable. My most recent mod was taking my Cara Cara down flat, to improve slicing and ease sharpening. Wow, this thing cuts like crazy now. Here are before and after pics:
knives074.jpg

flatgrind003.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I use a tenacious as a rough folder at work sometimes and it has taken quiet a lot of use and abuse in it's stride.
It's maybe a wee bit over budget but it puts you in a different league of knives.
Checking the classifieds on BB for a second hand one might well bring it in on budget.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If you wanted something different you could try a Cold Steel 95FB Pocket Bushman
95FB.jpg

Length, Open:10.25"
Blade Length:4.5"
Blade Material:4116 Krupp Stainless Steel
Handle Length:5.75"
Handle Material:420 Stainless
Pocket Clip:Yes
Opening Method:Thumbstuds
Locking Method:Ram Safe
Weight:6.1 oz

I have heard mixed opinions about them and haven't handled one myself but it's a big knife and an interesting idea.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have both the spyderco tenacious and the cold steel pocket bushman.
Of the two, the bushman is stronger (practically indestructible), but the tenacious is more user friendly.

I'd push my budget and get one of them. you'll not be sorry if you do.

Charity over on BB should be able to get you one fairly cheaply

Buck knives, (I have found) are quite labour intensive to sharpen.

I keep one in my bushbag when I'm not carrying a fixed blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE