Quaich or maybe a wee bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Hi Folks,

Not posted for a wee while now but thats me finished my wee bowl/Quaich.

It started out as this
IMG_1767-1.jpg

And it turned into this
IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

It has wee crack in it from drying but i think it adds a bit of character. Just need to watch when i'm drinking a malt from it just incase i dribble it down the old chin......

Cheers
Scott

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that :approve: beautifully *organic* in it's curves :cool:
How long did it take ?

See thon cracking ? if it does annoy you, I have some incredibly pure pine resin, absolutely clean, if you heated it with a hairdryer on hot it would mould into the cracks and fill them. You could polish it up after and it would gleam like amber inserts and seal the wood.
Don't think it'd spoil the malt, since it's unlikely to stay in the quaich for long.
Up to yourself but the offer's there :)
Beeswax would work too I reckon.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Scott,
That's really nice, I've quite a few bowls dotted around the house full of "tree lumps" ( mates daughters name for them that's stuck). Some I've polished, some have bark, from the size of peas to some sizable ones. Never thought of carving them out like that before... used to turn big burrs but never by hand like you've done. Must've taken a while due to the grain? Really nice, and as Toddy says "organic", her resin idea is pretty good too.
Can you take a pic with something beside it for scale? Think I have an idea in my head due to the grain but just to fix it in my head.
Again really like it.
Goatboy.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Thanks for the comments folks.

Here's a couple of pics to show the size of it

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

Yes it took me a good while. Probably 15 hours in total spread over 5 months with my trusty old Frost crook knife.

Toddy i like the idea of the resin how would i be able to get some from you?

Scott

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Send me a pm with your address and I'll burrow into the shed and see if I can find the jar I stored it in :D
HWMBLT purified it and it's in little balls like sweeties :D The house smelled glorious while he did it too :cool:

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah now Scott,
with the spoon added and now I can see the size imagine using it as a wee bowl for some brown bread ice-cream with a little drizzle of tart raspberry sauce over the top???
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515118
It's pretty yummy and only slightly beats gorse flower ice cream... lovely scent of coconuts..
Goatboy.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice spoon and bowl. I think when I carved my spoon, I actually forgot what the handle of a normal spoon was shaped like lol. Now I'm starting to want to carve a bowl or something myself...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE