Quaich - A Whisky Burl Cup

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Decided to carve myself a new whisky cup for out and about.

I have an Oak one I carved a few years ago and the tradition is to fill it up and pass it around the campfire.

The Burl I carved the bowl and cup out of I thought would also make an excellent whisky cup as well but in the style of a Quaich.

I will be christening it this weekend in Pippingford Park in the Ashdown Forest.

The Leatherman is just for scale.

WP_20130704_013_zpsd7e5b4b7.jpg

Top view

WP_20130704_016_zpsbf6f6e6c.jpg

Bottom view

WP_20130704_017_zpsbf8f41d5.jpg

Side view

WP_20130704_014_zpsb98354ea.jpg

Slainte

George

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I need a burl some time.

A few years ago I came across an area in which quite a few oaks had been felled. Some helpful but obviously inexperienced forester had carefully trimmed all of the ugly burl bulges off the trees once he'd felled them and had just left them laying there. I went home with a rucksack full. Happy days ;-)

Peter

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I am working with Charlie Brooke's this weekend and he said he will be bringing a Malt - type unknown.

If it is anything like my last whisky cup it will see a fair bit of Rum from my Sea Cadet friends and much Mead (and other strange concoctions) at the Moot from my Bushcraft friends.

I had a tinker with what was left of the Burl to see if it was any good for a spoon but there are to many weak areas - The handle area on my test piece snapped :-(

Thanks for all the kind words though folks. Luckily I found a nice piece to hide my skill level :)

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE