A small turned oak cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just a quick bit of woodturning now my lathe is up and running again. A little cup in oak. Turned in centre grain, just because that was how the bit of wood fitted the size of what I wanted. It gives lovely grain on the inside and shows the medullary rays, though it means it isn't smooth inside or out as well. That's ok, because I like the resultant rustic feel.

20708407680_a60579444f_b.jpg
[/url]Oak woodgrain by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finished with a hot soak in walnut oil because after I initially used a cellulose sanding sealer on it liquid still got though. I forgot how notoriously porous oak is. Some of my drink went through on the first test. After the soak it has darkened and become much heavier. The oil also seals the small amount of spalting in the wood.

20903811081_8b9fd5a077_b.jpg
[/url]A small drinking cup by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Total work time: about an hour from chunk of oak to drinking.

Thanks for looking.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
That's quality that. Love the grain of oak, and the colour is marvellous.
I'm working on an ash kuksa at the moment, and blimey it takes some manhandling to shape. Getting good at sharpening my knives.
Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE