Pyrography - does anyone do ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As a VERY dissatisfied customer of any Silverline product I have bought in the past I can't recommend them lowly enough. Steer well clear of them, the prices look good, the product is awful. I ordered some Forstner bits off ebay last year and groaned aloud when I opened the package to see Silverline on the packaging. I've seen lead retain a keener edge than the cutting faces of those bits.

At the risk of getting slagged off by those in the know - perhaps a fine pointed soldering iron might work as a good starter tool. If you like the hobby then invest in the proper stuff later.

As for Lindsey's artwork saying it's "top notch" doesn't really do it justice. I aspire to be like Lindsey.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I had a go at it as my mother has a kit.(not sure which brand). Tried it on a knife handle I made but I am not artistic enough so re handled it. Lindsey's work looks amazing, I wish I had that talent.
I agree with Biker regarding silverline products !

Elen Sentier

As a VERY dissatisfied customer of any Silverline product I have bought in the past I can't recommend them lowly enough. Steer well clear of them, the prices look good, the product is awful. I ordered some Forstner bits off ebay last year and groaned aloud when I opened the package to see Silverline on the packaging. I've seen lead retain a keener edge than the cutting faces of those bits.

At the risk of getting slagged off by those in the know - perhaps a fine pointed soldering iron might work as a good starter tool. If you like the hobby then invest in the proper stuff later.

As for Lindsey's artwork saying it's "top notch" doesn't really do it justice. I aspire to be like Lindsey.

I was wondering about a fine-poited soldering iron ... I'll see what Lindsey says :)

May 12, 2013
Bedfordshire
The problem with the soldering iron type is that you have no temperature control and you have to hold it too far away from the point, not like you would a pen or pencil, so you don't have good control. There is a very good wire-point machine called a Davan, with excellent temperature control around, made by a retired electronics engineer in North-West Wales. It is, of course more expensive than a soldering-iron type, but is still the cheapest of it's type at £88 and worth it if you really get into pyrography. It really does just depend on what sort of pyrography you want to do - Colin has done a very good job on his knife handle with the Weller, but you would need something with more control if you wanted to do the sort of thing Lindsey does.

If you would be interested I have some information and a price list that I can PM you. I do not have a vested interest in the machine, but have used one since they first came out and certainly recommend them. Although I do have other machines, I find I use my Davan over 75% of the time.

BTW - Lindsey's work is excellent and I would be very interested in knowing what machine she uses.

Regards

Lesley

Last edited by a moderator:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

I'd totally agree with this. There must be entire landfill sites full of silverline stuff. I'm amazed anywhere still sells their stuff.

Edit to say Axminster tools do some good looking pyrography kit which might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2014
Taunton
The problem with the soldering iron type is that you have no temperature control and you have to hold it too far away from the point, not like you would a pen or pencil, so you don't have good control. There is a very good wire-point machine called a Davan, with excellent temperature control around, made by a retired electronics engineer in North-West Wales. It is, of course more expensive than a soldering-iron type, but is still the cheapest of it's type at £88 and worth it if you really get into pyrography. It really does just depend on what sort of pyrography you want to do - Colin has done a very good job on his knife handle with the Weller, but you would need something with more control if you wanted to do the sort of thing Lindsey does.

If you would be interested I have some information and a price list that I can PM you. I do not have a vested interest in the machine, but have used one since they first came out and certainly recommend them. Although I do have other machines, I find I use my Davan over 75% of the time.

BTW - Lindsey's work is excellent and I would be very interested in knowing what machine she uses.

Regards

Lesley

Could I please have the information on how I go about ordering a Davan machine?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE