Putting the grind on a knife

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I am currently working on two knives. MY mate put the grind in one using his belt sander, but I want to put the grind in the other. I was wondering, can you easily put the grind on a knife using a bench grinder or a file/rasp? I have watched greenpeete and many others do it using a file, but my file does not seem to be doing the job.

I am working on 01 tool steel, so am wondering if this changes things?

Anybody got any advice for putting the grind on with either the bench grinder or a file, feel free to leave advice below.

Apologies for the wall of text,

Ph34r
:goodnight:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I wouldnt attempt it with a bench grinder.Too easy to overheat the blade and it just doesnt work due to the curvature of the wheel.(ive tried and failed!)
Invest in a decent 2nd cut file,mark out carefully( the bevels and where the edge will be)its possible to do a good job but its slow work.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
A decent file helps, it doesn't have to break the bank but poundshop ones won't give you the results you're after. Like Stew said take your time so you don't remove too much metal. I use calipers to mark a line down the middle of the blade edge after taking a marker to it. That way you can see all your high spots as you work and get a consistent edge. It will prob take longer on your stones after filing to get it perfect!

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
take as much of it off with the bench grinder,but remember it,ll give you a concave profile so dont go too deep,then flatten the rest off with a file.

i used a 4 inch grinder to do my first grinds-finishing with a rexxon belt sander.

get them as close to razor sharp as you can before HT but *** dont melt them if your using a fire.............like i did :lmao:

its surprising just how much o1 you can get off with a hand file!

diamond stones are quite good too for a flat grind as you have maximum contact with a flat surface to finish em off.

you,ll be doing that after HT anyway,wont you?

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
take as much of it off with the bench grinder,but remember it,ll give you a concave profile so dont go too deep,then flatten the rest off with a file.

i used a 4 inch grinder to do my first grinds-finishing with a rexxon belt sander.

get them as close to razor sharp as you can before HT but *** dont melt them if your using a fire.............like i did :lmao:

its surprising just how much o1 you can get off with a hand file!

diamond stones are quite good too for a flat grind as you have maximum contact with a flat surface to finish em off.

you,ll be doing that after HT anyway,wont you?

You probably should get the knife razor sharp...leave a 0.5mill gap in between the 2 bevels so you don't burn the carbon out of the edge in HT

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Yeah, i will be filing off with diamond to finish, but just want to get the baasic grind down first. Thanks unlimited bushcraft, that videos tutorial is great, and i plan to be doing something similar. Thanks guy, very helpful,

Ph34r:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE