Punch recipes

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm having a barbecue for my sons 18th birthday and thought I'd make up an alcohol and non-alcohol punch. Does anyone have any recipes and what can I put it in? I don't really want to fork out for punch bowls as I'd probaly never use them again. I thought I may just use a new bucket but am worried it might look a bit naff. Any ideas for recipes and what to use to put the punch in welcome - thanks

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Well it's his 18th so you could embarrass him by using some non lubricated condoms to hold the punch. Thou I'm guessing he may never talk to you again

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You can put the punch in a large mixing bowl if you like. The brown and white ones sold in most kitchen shops sell in large enough sizes, cost very little and can be used for non-punch activities as well.

Here is a lethal champagne punch for starters:

1 * pineapple
2 * bottles of cheap bubbly - I'd use Cava or the like
200ml of brandy
200ml of of rum
50 - 100ml of apricot brandy
50 - 100ml of cherry brandy
1 or 2 packs of frozen raspberries
Plenty of ice
lots of sugar (I'd guess around 250grams)

The recipe can be scaled if needed. For each new pineapple increase the ingredients proportionally (i.e. 2 more bottles of fizz etc.). The recipe is fairly forgiving so you can play with the measures and vary the spirits according to taste. I probably increase the quantity of the spirits a bit but I prefer this sort of thing strong.

Peel and core the pineapple and chop it into small (1cm cubes or less) chunks. Put this in the punch/mixing bowl with the sugar on top. I do this in layers and use my judgment regarding sugar quantities but I think the quantity above is about right. Cover with clingfilm and let the pineapple and sugar stand for 3 hours or more so that the pineapple juice comes out.

Add all of the spirits. You now have the base of the punch. When you want to serve this add the bubbly, the ice and the frozen raspberries. It is best to add the cold ingredients just before you serve it so that it doesn't lose too much fizz. If you like you can add more of the spirits now to adjust the flavour.

This tastes great and has a real kick - be prepared to scrape people off the floor afterwards.

Enjoy!

Huon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This is a classic rum punch recipe

1 part fresh limejuice
2 parts sugar or grenadine syrup
3 parts Jamaica light Rum
4 parts iced water

chopped Fruit to decorate and a grating of nutmeg, and half a dozen crushed cloves

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Many happy returns to the lad Nick :beerchug:

Thanks Matt, that's very kind of you. His birthday is actually on the 31st of May so just over a week away yet.

Thanks for the recipes so far folks very much appreciated. I've never made a punch in my life so I figured it would be cheaper than forking out for lots of beer. All his mates can bring a pack or 2.

I'm doing a seafood platter with a large crab or lobster as the centre piece and 'spoots' (razor clams) mussels,large prawns, and other shellfish, and I'm getting a couple of racks of ribs to cook whole and people can cut their own, some german bratwurst sausages, chicken kebab skewers with peppers and aubergines, and homemade potato salad with tuna and sweetcorn, rice with peas and egg, pasta with olives and feta cheese and peppers. Can't wait, and as I'm the chef, I'll be saving the best cuts for myself.........................Chefs perk :D.................... Better go easy on that punch until I've finished cooking mind you. :rolleyes:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'm drooling...

Will you be gentle with gate crashers?

Thanks Matt, that's very kind of you. His birthday is actually on the 31st of May so just over a week away yet.

Thanks for the recipes so far folks very much appreciated. I've never made a punch in my life so I figured it would be cheaper than forking out for lots of beer. All his mates can bring a pack or 2.

I'm doing a seafood platter with a large crab or lobster as the centre piece and 'spoots' (razor clams) mussels,large prawns, and other shellfish, and I'm getting a couple of racks of ribs to cook whole and people can cut their own, some german bratwurst sausages, chicken kebab skewers with peppers and aubergines, and homemade potato salad with tuna and sweetcorn, rice with peas and egg, pasta with olives and feta cheese and peppers. Can't wait, and as I'm the chef, I'll be saving the best cuts for myself.........................Chefs perk :D.................... Better go easy on that punch until I've finished cooking mind you. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE