Pumpkin / Squash Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Still very new to this forum, so not really sure where to go with this, so settled in the chatter. But has BCUK ever had, or are members willing to have, a pumpkin or squash carving photo competition on here for Halloween? It would obviously need a judge or judges, maybe a bushcrafty prize, possibly a voluntary pound or so to a charity on entry if agreed? Just a suggestion, any thoughts or pics anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I carve a bogle, from a neep :)

15678328392_d1f6ae5d78_z.jpg

It shrinks as it dries out with the candle inside, and they used to become the head of the Guy on bonfire night.

M

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some would say my neep lanterns look like self portraits. Might be fun to have a competition, wether formal or informal. Will there be different categories for neeps over the new kids on the block pumpkins?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Hey whatever the consensus decides, if people put a variety of stuff on in large enough quantities the categories should decide themselves. Different veg / squashes / marrows (this section must not be certificate 18+ though!). Different designs - maybe Halloween, bushcrafty, animals, whatever floats your boat I guess. Go for it. Anyone suggest a judge or judging panel...

More importantly, does John Fenna hate pumpkins as well as sporks, the colour pink and Scotch eggs?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey whatever the consensus decides, if people put a variety of stuff on in large enough quantities the categories should decide themselves. Different veg / squashes / marrows (this section must not be certificate 18+ though!). Different designs - maybe Halloween, bushcrafty, animals, whatever floats your boat I guess. Go for it. Anyone suggest a judge or judging panel...

More importantly, does John Fenna hate pumpkins as well as sporks, the colour pink and Scotch eggs?

Now there's an idea for a category, carving Mr. Fennas portrait onto Scotch Eggs using only pink Sporks as a carving tool! :D

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
This was my entry to a competition I entered on behalf of my baby grandson last year at a family Halloween party. It got second prize! I believe first prize went to a pumpkin carved like the DeathStar!

f26aa1f80ff3c6aa5c9b42b24167f738.jpg

Before anyone asks, yes, its supposed to look like a Minion!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haven't had a chance to go out and get a decent sized neep for carving this year yet. Most of the shops seem to e following the pumpkin market here these days though. Suppose they look more spectacular and are easier to carve. Will pop up something when I get one though.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Ok GB looking forward to that! I'll more than likely end up making another one for the family party, I'll get my thinking cap on!

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
When I get pumpkins for my two young nephews my brother and his wife go on a spree of making gallons of pumpkin soup and fillings for pumpkin pie to put in the freezer. I've had loads of apple and marrow chutney, but never pumpkin Tengu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE