Puffballs

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There was a big bunch at Delamere, they went straight into my pot and I think the Mushroom Lady had some too! Mine were done with scrambled egg and butter, with a hint of Tabasco. Well, not a hint, more of a Party Political Broadcast, really!

:D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
It's been rubbish here for puffballs BUT there have been shedloads of Parasol Mushrooms, most of which have already gone through the dehydrator already.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
i found two giant beasts on one day, but thats the only time, i cooked em the same as hugh did on river cottage, my much older work colleague reckons there aint nowhere near the level/amount of mushrooms about as when he was a kid, he said loads of kids used to take home big bags full,i dont know wether his memory is slightly rose tinted but ive a feeling hes probably very right.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Not a puffball in sight so far.
Shaggy ink caps yes earthballs en mass but no blinking puffballs.
I have been known to screech the car to a halt and dodge oncoming traffic to claim one of those babys.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Only seen a handfull of pufballs here this year! (Vo giants though) there seems to have been an explosion of fungi over the past 3 days, The russula are everywhere which is usually a good sign that others will follow, did stumble across a Cep yesterday though (Left it however to give it a chance to spore)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lol, nothing like a free lunch :p
If you can get a giant puffball it is not lunch, it is lunch dinner and tea, and then breakfast the next day.

This year has been pretty average I feel. The speices haven't been the same as last year and nowhere near as numerous, but then the weather has been differant. I have a very large bag now of various dried boletes. There has been quite alot of russulas so much so that have even ventured as far as eating some of them. I generally don't like them as a taste but some aren't that bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE