Hillebergs Bivanorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Hilleberg Bivanorak is an interesting garment. It functions both as a bivy and as a one piece anorak style rain garment (thus the name).

As a bivy it is reasonably spacious, and will do a decent job of protecting you and your sleeping bag from rain, wind and sleet. As a garment if is long, and you need to fold it up and cinch the bottom draw-cord around your waist in order to have any freedom of movement (it is almost 2.5 m long, in order to function well as a bivy). The sleeves are loose and spacious, and it is easy to retract your arms while wearing it. The hood is quite generous, and will accommodate most conceivable headwear and many sleeping bags hoods as well. The material (ripstop nylon with a PU coating) is quite breathable but will keep rain on the outside: if you are damp when getting into it there will be condensation, but that will eventually evaporate to the outside.

Use experience
I have used it as a bivy, both in survival training situations and with a sleeping bag, and as a rain garment. In the first application it is pretty close to perfect (not the ideal bivy for sleeping bags, but very nice in a survival shelter), and as a grain-garment it works best in fairly open terrain, but is also despite my initial misgivings eminently functional in the woods, at least if some minimal care is taken (I slept on a pile of dry spruce and pine inside a tight shelter for a fortnight, and collected a large portion of the building materials for said shelter while wearing it, with no damage). In a survival shelter it comes to its right: you can easily add or remove layers while wearing it, and once you are in your shelter is is spacious enough to retract your arms, remove your boots (assuming that your shelter allows this...) and adjust the hood, all from the inside. You can pull the lower draw-cord tight and still stretch out as much as you need to for a good nights sleep.

Ideal use situations
Minimalists in open terrain, one-man windsack/bothy bag for mountain travel, and in emergency packs (it was developed for Swedish Air Force pilots), etc. Probably a bit too thin for long term durability in the woods, but will stand up to more abuse than one may suspect.

Specifications
Weight: 545 g
Size: 240 cm long, 86 cm wide
Link: http://se.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/bivanorak/

20150905093835-3443e8e9-me.jpg

(Disclosure: I received it at a rebate in return for testing under forest survival conditions)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm not sure that I get this: it's awkward as a waterproof because it's too long and not made of a 'breathable' fabric; it can't be used as a spacious shelter like a tarp or basha; when used as a bivvy bag, there are condensation problems - so what is its point? For bushcraft, one will usually have one or two bits of kit that can make you comfortable, so is this exclusively a survival thing? Is it actually practical for, dare I say it, 'normal' usage? Or have I missed the point as I often do?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm not sure that I get this: it's awkward as a waterproof because it's too long and not made of a 'breathable' fabric; it can't be used as a spacious shelter like a tarp or basha; when used as a bivvy bag, there are condensation problems - so what is its point? For bushcraft, one will usually have one or two bits of kit that can make you comfortable, so is this exclusively a survival thing? Is it actually practical for, dare I say it, 'normal' usage? Or have I missed the point as I often do?

It was never really intended as a replacement for shelter and rain-wear for normal travel. Initially it was intended for emergency kits -- pilot emergency kits -- but later also sold to the public. As such it is useable as rainwear -- no worse than the classic poncho, and in some ways even better -- and also functional as a bivy. The condensation I noted was when I went to sleep in it wearing damp clothes, and the only rainwear I have tried that does not get this is ventile, but that is because it absorbs the water: under more normal conditions there were none that I have noted.

As I said: it is a choice for minimalists or emergency packs. That said, I know someone who hiked for -- IIRC the story correctly -- for three weeks in Sarek with one as his only rainwear and shelter.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That said, I know someone who hiked for -- IIRC the story correctly -- for three weeks in Sarek with one as his only rainwear and shelter.

A tough minimalist - but with a very light pack!

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not sure that it's a piece of kit that'll be on my shopping list anytime soon but I can see its value more clearly.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Deep down in a large box lives my Bivanorak. It is a good piece for a lightweight all-in-one, but I rarely need such an option. Would keep it though. Maybe for my wife, with a Nanok Cold Weather Suit underneath.
On tour i prefer the protection of a solo tent, for ticks etc. And I had some condensation problem in the Bivanorak during the night; a thick sleeping bag and a warm closed cell could be a good choice here.
I wonder if the Helsport Poncho/BivyBag combination (dont know the exact name), with optional isolation, might be the better choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE