Proper Bushcraft movie

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
The film looks good, not read the book yet but i will do after reading the write up about it. We have an arty farty cinema in York, but it looks like it's not listed or showing there.

Sep 28, 2007
Bridgend
I kinda think this guy was an idiot. Whilst I sympathise with his life view and would love to spend sometime walkabout myself , the way he did things was absolute lunacy.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I kinda think this guy was an idiot. Whilst I sympathise with his life view and would love to spend sometime walkabout myself , the way he did things was absolute lunacy.

Be that as it may, he survived for a long time and it was only an accident that he died. I believe it was mistaking a plant that looked and grew near a plant he had been eating with no problem that killed him.

The fact remains he succeeded to a point.

the book and the film, i daresay, are a learning curve of what not to do but also about what could be accomplished.

O

oilyrag

If I had to survive on my fungi recognition skills I wouldn't last a week - FACT

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Hi Brom, Welcome to BushcraftUK.

The film looks interesting, a strange concept, getting rid of all of the baggage of modern life and just living off the land. I have only seen the trailer for the film, I have not read the book - however the guy seemed to take unnecessary risks, with that sort of attitude you will end up injured or dead sooner or later, the trade off seems to be that you have a good time along the way.

I cannot see how anyone could be so selfish, presumeably his parents were worrying about him. Most of us have people who care about us and rely on us to some extent so going walkabout is simply not an option.

I will watch the film when I can, I hope Hollywood has not put their spin on the story too much.

Rant over, soap box put away.

Stewey.:D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Be that as it may, he survived for a long time and it was only an accident that he died. I believe it was mistaking a plant that looked and grew near a plant he had been eating with no problem that killed him.

The fact remains he succeeded to a point.

the book and the film, i daresay, are a learning curve of what not to do but also about what could be accomplished.

I've read the book and as far as I remember it he was eating a plant that was described as edible in a plant book he had with him. However the books author didn't know, or failed to add that prolonged eating of the plant can cause dibilation. So McCandless became ill and unable to look after himself or collect food, and ultimately died.

Another very good book along similar lines is Cold burial http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Burial-Endurance-Disaster-Grounds/dp/0670885649

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've read the book and as far as I remember it he was eating a plant that was described as edible in a plant book he had with him. However the books author didn't know, or failed to add that prolonged eating of the plant can cause dibilation. So McCandless became ill and unable to look after himself or collect food, and ultimately died.

Another very good book along similar lines is Cold burial http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Burial-Endurance-Disaster-Grounds/dp/0670885649

Ah, i must of read the write up wrong.

Actually I think you will find that in McCandless ate the seeds from a plant with an edible root. The seeds of which protect themselves with an alkaloid coating - this caused a poisoning that a fit and healthy person would survive, but McCandless was bad shape at this stage and it was too much for his skeletal body to take. If I remember correctly a bag containing these seeds was found in the bus near to his body. That was the opinion of the author IIRC.

There is a lot of speculation as to what really happened and to the extent of his motives and what he actually did in the wild. There was at least one cabin near to where his body was found that had been vandalised and the food stored there spoilt by an unknown person!

Be interesting to see the movie ;)

Phil.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Tis a great book by a great author. Story made me feel a bit empty really although I really wanted him to succeed.If you like anything to do with climbing J,k has wrote some great books.
I can only hope that J.k made sure that the script writing was correct and that Hollywood or who ever produced the film. ' Touching The Void' Got to say at one point Joe Simpson (TTV) was asked by Hollywood to produce his film and wondered if the characters could have walkie talkies as 'there wouldn't be much talking' in the movie otherwise!!!!:( :eek: :eek:
Dave

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I read the book, and it might sound pretty harsh but the author tried very hard to make a selfish idiot seem like a hero:rolleyes: .

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Tis a bit harsh but opinions vary on the book and guy.
At the end of the day his untimely death was a selfish act not sure it was what he planned though........been a long long time since I read the book D

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Is this the guy Ray Mears mentions in one of his books? I seem to remember reading about a man surviving in the wild in Alaska in a bus until he ate a poisonous plant in one of my books. Saw a piece about the movie and all the copy cats on national news yesterday. Sparked my interest in the movie. Doesn't appear to be showing in my neck of the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE