proper basha poles or cheap walking poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
As title. Is there any advantage of a proper basha pole compared with a cheap walking pole. The ones I've seen are 3 section so pack down small and reach 135cm. Around £8 for a pair seems a bargain if they will do the job.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I think the basha poles might give you a taller pitch but you'd have to check.

I use Leki poles and they are ideal to make a tarp pitch, but I'm only 5'4"!, and the walking poles have the multi use option and they are very useful with a pack or for just helping take the strain off the knees!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As title. Is there any advantage of a proper basha pole compared with a cheap walking pole. The ones I've seen are 3 section so pack down small and reach 135cm. Around £8 for a pair seems a bargain if they will do the job.

Depends what 'the job' is that you want doing.

A lot of people use clothes line props from Wilkos - used to be about £3 each but may not pack down as small as you want - worth considering anyway

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Hiking poles can be extended to 1.35 or so, so should be used - provided that you use poles anyway. If not, then many options are available including the inexpensive and light, plastic clothes pole. I have a bunch of 5 ft bamboo poles which I picked up at a home decorating store for a few cents each, again, very light and can also be used as trekking poles. The only advantage the basha poles have is that they break down into short sections for packing. Personally, I can't get up an kind of hill without trekking poles, so for me the answer is obvious. YMMV

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
That's what I'm thinking. Even though I would probably never use them for walking, they are cheaper than proper poles and it won't matter if they get lost or bent.

I got a pair of those for exactly that reason and they worked a treat for setting up my tarp. What surprised me though was how much I liked using them while walking, really do help on steep hills especially when you're carrying a heavy rucksack. I use them all the time now.

Mat

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I personally use poles. However I am starting to question why I do that. They are great with their adjustability but I don't use poles any more so they sit on my pack until camp. I only use with my tap at night so why do I carry trekking poles?

Anyway, if anyone knows where I can get good, light and cheap tarp poles that are lighter than my current trekking poles I'd be interested. BTW I have one mountainking super trekker (245g and one BD trail (I think) pole at closer to 300g so I am talking about two adjustable poles for less than 545g. Are there any such poles out there?? If not I'll keep using trekking poles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE