proofing a smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Is there any reason why you can't use wax, like Barbour's thornproof Dressing, to treat a cotton or a poly-cotton smock to make it waterproof? I guess it would cut down its breathability, but would it work apart from that do you think??

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'v always used nitwax.

Do you put that in your hair? :D

In all seriousness, have a look at the Nikwax and Grangers websites - they have a range of products that should be suitable for washing into a cotton/polycotton garment. I have to say, I've tried proofing things before and had mixed success but it's often worth having a go!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Both Grangers and Nikwax produce wash-in proofers for cotton, but I wondered if you could use the Barbour-style wax compound which I think you put on with a brush?? Has anyone tried this with a non-Barbour cotton top?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ive just proofed an ex-military heavyweight cotton smock with Greenlander wax. Ive not used it in heavy rain as yet but its kept out a few showers, the water beading nicely and running off.It will be intresting to see how it performs in the winter.
I haven't notice much difference with the breathablity it still seems much better than a synthetic.
I though the wax quite reasonable at £5 a block and ive only used a small amount. The packet says its enough for about ten garments. It was really easy to use just rub on and iron in- took about 20 mins. Tamarack Bushcraft seem to be the only place that sell it unless anyone knows different. Ed

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
The theory with Barbour type wax is that you block the holes in the weave with wax so water cannot get through. The disadvantage here is that it cannot escape either, so the clothing cannot breath and you can get moisture inside with sweating.

The Nikwax approach is to coat the cotton fibres which will make the hole in the weave smaller, too small for water droplets to pass through. However, it's not too small for water vapour to pass through. This allows your sweat vapour to escape, so the clothing retains it's breathability. I believe that is the advantage of Ventile and Goretex (though if i'm wrong, a certain Mr Fenna will probably be along shortly to put me right!).

I personally love Nikwax, so much so that most of my clothing get's a treatment. I have devised a Nikwax tactic which i mentioned quite a while ago. I came to this conclusion when i first started using cottonproof (then called TX-10) in the early 90's.

1) Wash the item in a washing machine ensuring you do not use any detergent and that the machine draw if free from soap.

2) Using Cotton proof, wash the garment as per the instructions on the bottle while the garment is still wet.

3) Repeat step 2 a second time.

4) Repeat step 2 a third time

This is your initial proofing. When it comes time to wash, use Nikwax wash and then reproof (once only this time). Hey presto, job done. It has to be said though that this may only make the garment heavy showerproof and that, for total waterproof, your best off with a dedicated waterproof garment. Having said that, i can't fault it!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive used Greenland wax on a single ventile shirt, just on the upper back and shoulders and it keeps a bit more rain out, with good breathability. Wasn't working up a huge sweat though.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
it works both ways though as semi proofing will also keep the moisture in for longer once its failed. older army jackets were meant to be proofed and dry clean only which was wishfull thinking. we tried allsorts to little avail.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Not sure if this is 100% pertinent to 'normal' cotton/polycotton garments, but it might help you make a decision: I purchased a ventile jacket about 9 months ago. Due to the high cost involved, I was a bit nervous about the whole waterproof issue of ventile and so I asked a lot of questions before going ahead. The upshot was that I was advised by the supplier against proofing the garment, not only when it was new, but even once it had aged. The main reasoning was because it would result in a reduction of what the ventile was designed to do - breathe. Or to put it another way, why spend all that money and then go and spoil the design? I might just as well have bought a cheaper PVC jacket.

There is also the other issue of a significant increase in weight.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I agree it would be daft to wax ventile as you are paying a lot of money for its weather resistant, breathable qualities. What I'm planning is putting the wax on a cheap cotton/polycotton smock hoping it will make it significantly more water resistant, enough to get me through a good bit of rain. I accept it will be les breathable but there should still be a good bit of venting potential and the cotton would handle any condensation better than synthetics.

That's the theory anyway..

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Greenlander wax arrived and I used it on a cheap cotton jacket from my local army shop. The instructions recommend using either a hairdryer or an iron to melt in the wax. I used an iron and it was very easy. Wore it to the woods over the weekend and it coped with a couple of light showers easily with the rain beading on the surface. It won't stand heavy rain I'm sure, but Fjallraven say you can put more coats on which improves water resistance but of course impairs breathability. All in all, £5 well spent.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Been pondering about if you applied the greenland wax on a damp garment using an iron if the breathability would improve? (mountain man gore tex? :umbrella: )

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmmmmm...interesting...

Here's how I understand it: Ventile works in a different way to other breathables. When it gets wet, the cotton fibre threads expand to plug the holes between the close weave. This stops the water getting in/out. It's also why ventile goes quite stiff when it's wet.

If you try and 'waterproof' ventile, I suspect it would stop the material getting wet and so would stop the weave closing up.

For other cotton-type materials, the weave is wider and so, whilst the threads will never expand enough to close off the weave, a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating should make the garment showerproof by stopping it 'wetting out' straight away.

Right, I await John Fenna's anti-aircraft guns of truth to blast my small aeroplane of assumption out of the sky. :D (Ack-ack!)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Could you use Grangers Super Proof instead then perhaps? I'm not sure whether this would have a subtler effect on the weave than wax and help retain some of the original suppleness?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Right, I await John Fenna's anti-aircraft guns of truth to blast my small aeroplane of assumption out of the sky. :D (Ack-ack!)

:) I like that! It's on similar lines to Captain Jack Sparrow 'May i take a machete to your intellectual thicket!' Nice one Mikey, teach you that at Cranwell?:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE