projectors, for a lap top

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Anyone know anything about projectors that can link up to lap tops / PC's etc?

I'm not wanting to play games / watch DVD's

Or could I link up to my TV ?

The reason I'm asking is..because for the type of programs I'm looking to use benefit from using a mouse rather than the touch pad.

I think I might end up needing glasses.

Any ideas?

kind of thing we used to use for presentations, they used to be very expensive but that was ten years ago.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi TF

Any projector with a sub D connector on the back can be linked up to your laptop by running a cable from the sub D output on your laptop to the sub D on the projector.

Newer TV's sometimes have sub D connectors on them and if yours had, then you should be able to connect via that.

HTH

Regards

Phill

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
If your laptop has a digital video output (i.e. HDMI, DVI, or other compatible format) you can connect to the HDMI port on a television too (subject to getting the right adaptors or cable).

I'm not entirely clear about why you want a projected picture, though, so if you could provide more details that would certainly help to give you more advice (for example, I don't see what projectors and televisions have to do with touchpads and mice...)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
If your laptop has a digital video output (i.e. HDMI, DVI, or other compatible format) you can connect to the HDMI port on a television too (subject to getting the right adaptors or cable).

I'm not entirely clear about why you want a projected picture, though, so if you could provide more details that would certainly help to give you more advice (for example, I don't see what projectors and televisions have to do with touchpads and mice...)

Using a mouse takes you further away from the screen and it makes my eyes hurt (looking at little icons, think Photoshop etc)

I just wondered If I could..

A. Buy a cheap projector that suits a lap top, or..

B. Use my TV, (wouldn't be ideal)

In a nut-shell, I want to sit on the sofa whilst being able to use a computer without squinting at a small screen. (I've got good eyesight and I'd like to keep it that way)

Cheers for the help:)

(I should mention I don't know what these ports are) I know nothing. Scart socket yep, usb yep, after that.. no

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
vga-poort.jpg

That is a VGA-port. It is typically the port that would connect to beamers or secondary screens (your TV, for example). I work with a secondary screen with my laptop using a VGA-cable. Does your laptop have such a port?

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Using a mouse takes you further away from the screen and it makes my eyes hurt (looking at little icons, think Photoshop etc)

I just wondered If I could..

A. Buy a cheap projector that suits a lap top, or..

B. Use my TV, (wouldn't be ideal)

In a nut-shell, I want to sit on the sofa whilst being able to use a computer without squinting at a small screen. (I've got good eyesight and I'd like to keep it that way)

Cheers for the help:)

(I should mention I don't know what these ports are) I know nothing. Scart socket yep, usb yep, after that.. no

A number of thoughts/options:

1. You say your eyesight is good but the first sign of a problem is usually a headache, eye strain, etc. Unless you already have, you may want to get your eyes checked. A pair of glasses might be the solution you need (and perhaps not the solution you're hoping for).

2. Adjust the font size on your laptop to make things a bit more legible. Failing that, you could reduce the resolution to make things bigger (not a particularly good solution, but might work for you).

3. Use a larger screen as you suggest, either through
3.1 a projector (in which case pay attention to their resolution, you want the highest there is if you can afford it),
3.2 a television (I wouldn't really recommend the VGA port aka D-Sub port, since the picture quality won't usually be as good as the one you get from a HDMI port -- the "high-def" connector), or
3.3 an actual computer screen of a decent size (which would be my actual choice!).

4. you basically have two different kinds of video output from a computer: analogue and digital. The VGA port (as shown in Two Socks' picture) is analogue; this is usually suitable to project a presentation (where you don't typically need a high resolution picture), it's not really great to project a high resolution picture like that of an 1080p HD TV (or higher). The digital options come in many different connector flavours: DVI (and variants of that port: mini-DVI, micro-DVI), DisplayPort (usually on more modern Macs), and HDMI (which is the connector commonly used on HDTVs to transmit HighDef content). Modern TVs will have HDMI inputs, and many also have a VGA input too. Projectors can also have VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs, but it really depends on the model. You can usually find an adaptor that will allow you to convert a digital connector to the appropriate one (i.e. DVI to HDMI, or vice versa). If you need to do this, make sure you get the correct gender converter!

Another question now, can you find out what video connections your laptop supports? That would give you an indication about whether you have to use the VGA port, or whether you can use a digital one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you have a modern TV you'll have a PC socket on it as above or it may also have a DVI socket. Wireless keyboard and mouse and away you go. What I did was as I and my son upgrade our PCs every year the old base units are wired up to a TV. They all have internet access and are on the home network so we can access the video library on my monster PC downstairs. If your not gaming a basic base unit does the job so may be worth you looking around on eBay for a PC base unit rather than faff about pluging your laptop in all the time; won't break the bank either.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I work with projectors every day as a conference manager. A fair few people assume I have a prjector at home but I wouldn't have one.

Noisy (cooling fan), have to have a suitably placed surface to project onto, the image will slowly get more dim until the bulb needs replacing (a new bulb is not far off the cost of a projector sometimes - last one I bought was £290) after 1000 - 2000 hours depending on the projector. A good tv gives a better, clearer picture.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
vga-poort.jpg

That is a VGA-port. It is typically the port that would connect to beamers or secondary screens (your TV, for example). I work with a secondary screen with my laptop using a VGA-cable. Does your laptop have such a port?

Yes, that's what my lap top has.

The back of my TV has a couple of HDMI ports.

Will there be a cable to suit? And will there be a dedicated channel?

Thanks for your help folks:)

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Yes, that's what my lap top has.

The back of my TV has a couple of HDMI ports.

Will there be a cable to suit? And will there be a dedicated channel?

Thanks for your help folks:)

You won't be able to connect the VGA port on your laptop (analogue signal) to an HDMI port (digital signal); your best bet is to look and see if your TV has a VGA port.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE