Problems with my Opinel knife, design fault perhaps?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We've all done it, put a toffee in its wrapper in the hip pocket intending to eat it later, however the failing memory being what it is one forgets and pretty soon that solid toffee has melted itself into a gloopy thing that no way resembles what it was like when it went into your pocket.
When you have two toffees, then it gets really bizarre.

So imagine my surprise when I pulled out the two Opinel no.9's in my hip pocket after a long walk on a hot spring day. Can't figure out how this happened, can you?

Maybe if I soak them in boiling water they won't look like siamese twins anymore. :lmao:

Opinel1.jpg

Opinel2.jpg

Opinel3.jpg

Biker

you have way too much time on your hands.

thats brill :)

Not really what it is is being at my workbench in the basement supposedly making an oak frame and window for someone but having a severe case of "can't be ar$ed today" and pratting about instead.

Thanks John, been called twisted before but never with the Genius part tagged on as well. Ta muchly. :rolleyes:

Slammer187. So what you're saying is that a penknife took advantage of an Opinel no.15 while he was drunk? I knew there was a reason I don't trust penknives, just couldn't put my finger on it. Sneaky beggers! :lmao:

Locum76. Thanks! Wanna see the video of the delivery? It'll be on youtube one day, the wife will be proud of it I'm sure :lmao:

Whittler Kev'. Somehow I doubt Opinel would be pleased with that, bit like Bentley dis-owning anyone who fitted a supercharger to their 1929 car. That, or I shall be expecting a snotty letter from their lawyers.

Thanks for the feedback folks. It could look a lot better, I know, but I was having a play with two knives I picked up at a bootfair for a couple of euros. Contrast in wood too, Oak and beech.

Ta ta

Biker

Topknot and Puub. Confidence to make the cuts helps but having one of these babies makes the job soooo much easier.

z313720.jpg

In 30+ years of sawing wood into smaller pieces and putting them back together again into things like houses and furniture, I have never had such a sweet saw to use. It's a pleasure to cut with and cuts on the pull stroke too, so the blade is less than 1mm thick and works like a dream. Throwaway blades too.

Can't recommend one of these to you woodworkers highly enough.

Dovetail saw Bah! It's a bow saw compared to this!

Thanks for the comments. Confused the hell out of my neighbour this morning when I showed him. He's an Opinel man through and through .... uh ohhhh even as I type there's a torch bearing mob armed with farming tools gathering at the bottom of the hill and Roger's leading 'em! :yikes:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
whats that saw?
oh, and what have you done to that opinel!?! :D :D
have you seen some of the re-handling designs people have done? i will see if i can find the link...

Biker

Yup saw those Scorpio and showed a Frenchman the other day and he was well impressed too. I think I saw the double ender there amongst the Opinls which is what gave me the idea in the first place.

That saw is called a Dozuki. You can buy them for about £18. The blade length is about 20cms, or so, and is designed for fine work. I'm sure there are bigger version for heavier work. But for accuracy I can't beat it, as I said above I can't rave about these saws enough. Having used one I wonder how I did without one all these years.

Biker

That's the baby. I was mistaken on the blade length (not a good thing to admit being someone whose work requires accurate measurements I know :togo:)

Anyway, yup that's the exact same saw I have. If I could give it marks out of 10 for accurate cutting I'd rate it about a 13!

One little trick is looking at the reflection in the mirror bright blade if the wood appears as a straight line you know your blade is 90º to the wood. Same with cutting at 45º you see a right angle in the reflection. Clever chaps these Japanese eh?

My best mate bought one on my say so and he wonders how he's got along without one all these years. He dabbles in woodwork as a hobby.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE