Problems sharpening my G Venters woody !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I have searched the forum for all the sharpening threads but im still having problems getting it shaving sharp.
Its 4 mm 01 steel with a flat scandi grind. At first it had a slightly convex bevel but a kind member over on BB got the bevel flat for me and got it shaving sharp. Ive really used it much since the bevel was done, but ive just used the waterstones to try and get it back shaving sharp, but try as i might, i cannot get it shaving sharp again.
Im using waterstones, starting with 800, 1200, then 6000 with a nagura stone. Im using the technique RM uses in his bushcraft vids but i still cant get it sharp ! Im spending about 30 mins on the knife and doing exactly as RM teaches.
When using the same technique with my Frost Mora i can get it shaving sharp no probs, why am i having problems with the woody which is a much better quality knife ?
Can some kind person help this idiot out ?
Anybody local to Bolton who could show how its done ?

Cheers,

Paul

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sounds like you are holding it at an incorrect angle. If you get a marker pen and colour in the bevel completely, then sharpen and see which parts of the bevel you are missing. When sharpening I like my finger tips right on the edge to ensure the blade is not pivoting. This method will show if you are.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
depending on how blunt it is you might want to spend a bit of time going over it with a lower grit (200-400) before going onto your 800 and up cause at 800 your not taking much off at all.
also are you stropping? cause no matter how much you go over it with a fine stone you'll never get it as sharp as you would with a strop. i've been able to take a blunt knife, use a 200 grit then a 600 gritt then a strop and get it shaving sharp just like that.

so yeah, use a real coarse stone to get it nice and sharp, smoothen it out with your finer stones then give it a good stropping, always works :)

ATB
TJ

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you got a DC4 Paul, I've started using the ceramic side after my waterstones and it puts a really nice finish to it before stropping.

There's probably a technical reason involving steel compound and varying heat treatments but all that stuff goes over my head usually :rolleyes:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
TJ could be spot on, but try my method first on a medium grit, cos if you use a low grit before finding out whether your technique is off, it could cause you to do major damage to the profile.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for the advice guys. I have been stropping and ive been really carefull keeping the right angle but it aint working. Ill give the 400 grit a try, but i thought that kind of grit should only be used if the knife was really blunt ? My knife is sharp but i just cant get it shaving sharp. I know that i dont need it shaving sharp all the time, but if i can get it shaving sharp it will give me confidance in k nowing i can get it sharp

Paul

Last edited:

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
hi pal ajb(andy) just lent me his dc4 and has taken me a bit to get it right, i struggle with it being small,follow the tips as above and it will come with practise.if your still strugglin i am sure andy(ajb) will help or i can have a look see for you i am near horwich and andy is from somewhere near chorley.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers for the advice guys. I have been stropping and ive been really carefull keeping the right angle but it aint working. Ill give the 400 grit a try, but i thought that kind of grit should only be used if the knife was really blunt ?

Paul

It is. You should be able to shave arm hair right from the 1200 without any stropping. Try the marker pen method first, it's an insight into both the current grind on it, the pressure you are using and the angle you are applying. It'll be worth it before you resort to the lower grit.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I would definitely try the marker pen method, it worked really well for me when I was learning to sharpen my knife. I still use it sometimes too :)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I would also check that your stones are flat. I made the mistake of sharpening an axe on mine and then i stuffed the stones for my scandi edge blade,I still haven't got them back to properly flat.

The marker pen is a good trick to see where the stones are touching the blade. I used to find mine didn't feel too sharp until i stropped then the edge sort of "came" to me.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
dc4 or a spyderco double stuff, sharpen on the primary bevel then add a microbevel and stop it

I dunno Josh, the size of those needs a bit more skill mastered through benchstones first. Probably best to see why the benchstones are not working first. Although I agree with the micro bevel of course.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
i have had a g.ventner's knife took a great edge,never got realy blunt kept it shaving sharp with dc4 and stropping on a piece of leather with autosolve past.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE