Problem with my IMCO 6700

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Recently, my IMCO lighter is just refusing to catch...

I have changed the flints, changed the wick, filled the tank, cleaned all the little parts - but nothing....

Only thing that i can think of is if the spring is not holding the flint against the wheel hard enough to make a spark hot enough to light the wick - although i doubt it, as i have put two flints in to increase the tension and it hasn't really changed anything.

Sometimes it lights...sometimes there doesn't seem to be any spark at all, sometimes everything looks normal but it still won't light.

I'm lost...

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
used to have one, and cleaned it to death.
If you get any fluids (water, oil) on the flint or stricker you lose most of the energy in the metallic pieces shed by the flint hence no or few sparks, this will give an unreliable lighter.
increasing the spring pressure (when a the stricker is contaminated) will not help much
I'd suggest the following (but with caution) soak/spray the action (mainly the wheel/stricker) in solvent (e.g. Isopropanol is what i'd use as it lease no film) petrol can be used although can leave an oily film. Clean it like that THEN LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL COMPLETLEY DRY AND ENSURE NO VAPOUR IS LEFT IN YOUR WORK AREA, before re-assembling it and trying to spark up.
These lighters are simple mechanical items, so I reckon you can fix it should you have an inquisitive mind....or you can send it back...either way

Just offering advice

Mojo

rover66oyo

Jul 15, 2014
United States
I too have this problem with mine, but now since IMCO has gone out of buisness, I have no where to send it for repairs. Mine though has stopped sparking all together. I have replaced the flints and the wheel is still rough. What do I do?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too have this problem with mine, but now since IMCO has gone out of buisness, I have no where to send it for repairs. Mine though has stopped sparking all together. I have replaced the flints and the wheel is still rough. What do I do?

Clean the wheel with Isopropyl alcohol, then leave to dry out..............buy a new packet of flints, I've had duff packets in the past; if neither of those work, buy another lighter :)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I had similar issues with my Imcos so went back to using Zippos, a shame as I prefer the design of the Imcos.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I had problems with the IMCO 6600 junior, it worked fine for about two weeks, then the fuel tank just started to fall out so I tried to tighten it. I ended up using a bit of painters tape wrapped round the barrel for a tighter fit. Then the flint wheel wouldnt produce a decent spark. I have given up on it and gone back to Zippo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE