Problem tapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Loathe that I am to admit my own fallibilty but whilst I can get sap from birch trees I am failing with sycamore.

I have drilled two mature trees to a depth of 2.5 inches with a 1 inch auger. On one tree I have stuck in a bung and hose and the other a brewers tap and hose.

The buds on both trees are swelling quite considerably, in places there is bud burst.

I have examined both holes and they are as dry as the Sahara.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I would have thought tapping sycamore was pretty similar to tapping any other tree or is the xylem situated deeper into the wood (or is it situated so shallow that the edge of my bungs or brewers tap is blocking them stopping the drill cavity filling)?

I want to avoid drilling test holes all over these trees in an effort to get sap though!

LBL

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I once heard that sycamore sap rose a few weeks earlier than birch, not sure how true that is though ?

Could it be that you've missed the window of opportunity ?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Yeah Sycamore rises earlyer, could be youv'e missed it. Look for a tree that looks a little more dormant.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
After you bleed the trees what will you do with the sap?
Sycamore can have a higher sugar content than Birch and a higher "flow rate" and it makes a good wine.
I prefer Birch though.
I too have had issues with tapping sycamore and will not bother in future...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think this thread should be sticky. Or at least mod the sticky that is up on tapping.

I dont mean this in a look you tree murderers , it is more we did it wrong and here is the right way.

I couldn't agree more - otherwise what's the point of informative threads if nobody acts on them or changes behaviour in the light of new information?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE