Problem Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackdaw

The Game and Wildlife Conservancy Trust have a lot of very useful information on Mink trapping.

It's worth pointing out that you cannot release a mink once trapped. They need to be destroyed humanely. Current advice is to use prometheus rounds from a Webley Typhoon after using a cage comb to position the mink to one end of the cage to enable accurate shooting. This should guarentee an instant kill. Remember to they are actually dead before opening the cage, though as you might get a nasty supprise. Usual technique is to touch the eyeball with a blade of grass to force a blink. If it blinks, then it bites!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's arrived. Double-doors - a bit fiddly to set and the 'catch' wires were rough at the end so it didn't release easily. Smoothed them off a bit.

Currently sat outside on soil in the garden to weather a bit, will probably take it to set up on Thurs night.

Only thing I'm a bit confused about is how to fasten bait to the trigger plate. It's a smooth plate. I guess I could drill through and insert a screw from the bottom. Drew suggested using tin of tuna - put screw through tuna tin, should hold it.

I have no intention of releasing the Mink somewhere else. It will be killed humanely.

Get a few fen mk4 or 6 traps bait the treddle plate with some bait normaly what they eating in the area set the trap as sensitive as you dare fix chain to a ancor point and leave it when the mink stands on the plate snap he is dead dont advise shooting them with sub 12ftlb air rifle they are very tuff and they get really mardy if you dont kill it first shot and they are likly to fight instead of flight .

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You don't actually have to put the bait on the trigger plate, just near it will do. Try to arrange the trap so that the animal is likely to step on the trigger as it approaches the bait. Obviously a double-ended trap makes this a bit more of a challenge.

If you want an easy non-firearm way of humanely killing it, if you know any MIG/TIG welders you could put it in a polythene sack and inflate it with argon. I wouldn't use CO2, if you want to know why not take a deep breath of the stuff next time you open a fizzy drink bottle.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....If you want an easy non-firearm way of humanely killing it, if you know any MIG/TIG welders you could put it in a polythene sack and inflate it with argon. I wouldn't use CO2, if you want to know why not take a deep breath of the stuff next time you open a fizzy drink bottle.

LOL. I can just picture trying to put a live mink in a bag. It might be a humane death; but the fight to get it in said bag would be another matter.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
...and will get you a criminal conviction for animal cruelty. Don't do this. Even if it wan't illegal, it is a horrible way to kill a living creature.

Drowning invasive species did this guy a whole load of damage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-told-pay-1-500-guilty-drowning-squirrel.html

Really - don't be so stupid!

I think he means drop the empty trap in the water Hugh to remove all of the human scents on it, that's what i do with mine, well i hope that's what he meant:confused:

.. Even if it wan't illegal, it is a horrible way to kill a living creature.

Really - don't be so stupid!

Coundn't agree more

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
BTW just in case anyone is wondering I have no intention of drowning the mink. I agree with BR, it is a horrible (and IMO cowardly) way to kill something.

But I'd rather not discuss methods in this thread please. It's a publicly-searchable thread and I'd rather not stir up something that may bite me (sic). For those who are concerned, I grew up on a farm and have 'put down' many animals (as distinct from slaughtering for meat). A distasteful task but sometimes necessary.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Blast

Another mink has appeared on the scene, looks like a young one.

I trapped and disposed of the adult, but not before it had caused £300 of damage. Economics dictate I trap and kill the young one.

Would an air rifle (at very close range) have enough punch to penetrate the skull of a mink?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Blast

Another mink has appeared on the scene, looks like a young one.

I trapped and disposed of the adult, but not before it had caused £300 of damage. Economics dictate I trap and kill the young one.

Would an air rifle (at very close range) have enough punch to penetrate the skull of a mink?

Yes it would. I would recommend a .22 putting out 8-10ft/lbs at the muzzle. This would be more than enough to dispatch it humanely

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem at all with an air rifle - it has been recommended by those that know that even 6ft lbs at near point blank is sufficient - so an air rifle should be plenty

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust did a lot of research on Mink control, and found that about 3 ft/lbs is sufficient to despatch a mink at very close range. You might find something useful if you look at their website www.gwtc.org.uk. The design for the Mink Raft is on there as well. You could also try the GB Non-native Species Secretariat (part of Defra). I'm afraid I don't have a link, but it should be easy to find.

Hope this helps.

Alan

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Cheers all.

I'd buy an air rifle at the drop of a hat, but SWIMBO is dead against it. :/ Shame, as we are moving into a new house with a garden big enough to set up a 10m practice range out of sight of neighbours. Will see if I can borrow one locally. My landlords know a gamekeeper; I suspect they'd be keen on someone getting rid of mink that aren't far from their wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE