Problem Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cheers all.

I'd buy an air rifle at the drop of a hat, but SWIMBO is dead against it.......

Start bigger; tell her about your enthusiasm for shooting and intention to join a shooting club after you get your FAC and a 30-06. She'll probably talk you down to an air rifle.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Lol, she'd probably tell me to find somewhere else to live!

She's a country girl originally and has done a fair bit of rabbit shooting with a 222 but isn't in favour of guns.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I understand. I've been fortunate the other way. Most of the women I've dated have embraced guns and shooting; including two who grew up city girls and came to the country. Ironically I gave each of them a shotgun and a handgun as well as giving their grandkids 22LRs as presents at various times.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Lol, she'd probably tell me to find somewhere else to live!

She's a country girl originally and has done a fair bit of rabbit shooting with a 222 but isn't in favour of guns.

Now that is over kill! No wonder she's not in favour of guns - .222 will make a hell of a mess of a bunny! Most folk use a .22 :p

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Mrs Swimbo needs to go. Simples!

Well that would be the case in my life at least.

It's a fine line between tolerance and her blatting away your shooting budget!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'll try and dig out my 2nd year project on mink control if any one is interested.

It's hand written but I should be able to provide a OCR'd version.

I'm interested.

Just had to trap another one. got into the big boat and has made a mess and a massive stink that will take weeks to sort out. :(

determined little sh!ts, must be climbing aboard via the mooring lines. I thought I'd blocked off all possible entrances but can't block off the ventilation. Once they get aboard they seem determined to get back in.

I'm getting better at the trapping. Set on Sunday, checked mon night and I'd caught one.

Now I wonder if they are solitary or if they share a range. Trouble is, the stink on the barge might entice another one in. I don't really have an issue with trapping them (although if this carries on I'm buying an air rifle for disposing of them). The barge is 7 miles away from home so checking the trap is a bloody chore.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You need an otter.
Seriously you do. When otters move into a watercourse, mink move out and become more terrestrial and once they are, then they're more vulnerable (especially the young ones) to foxes, birds of prey including owls, and apparantly cats.

Best of luck sorting it out though :sigh:

M

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There were otters around here - we even had one had a litter of kits under our pontoon and downstream there was a very obvious otter holt.

Haven't seen them in years and don't know where they have gone :(

When we lived aboard we had a fearsome cat who used to hunt the mink. Was sensible enough to stay way from the otters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE