Privet Hawk Moth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just startled one as the security lights went on. The thing must have had a 5" wing span. It was the size of a sparrow! Didn't know we had any moths that got that big - had to look it up. Thats one impressive moth (sorry no piccs)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw it all too briefly, went out to the workshop and it was fluttering on top of a tank under a security light. Had a look, went for the camera and my wife and it had gone before I got back. Monstrously large thing!

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Blimey, that big! Biggest I've got close to is the elephant hawk moth. But sparrow size, that must have been a sight. I would be kicking myself at not getting images.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did you happen to have the time to notice if the antennae were feather-like (male) or thread-like (female?).
Several here (Cecropia, Polyphemus, Luna, 4 kinds of hawk/hummingbird moths = Saturnidae) but close encounters are few and far between.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Bloody hell, just googled it meself....i thought the elephant hawk was the biggest moth in this country, you'd be forgiven for thinking it had escaped from a zoo or something

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You have to spend some quiet time, outdoors in the middle of the night. Take something to block the direct glare of a street light.
Many warm early summer nights, the Saturnids flutter just beyond the best light. Did you see one? Maybe yes? Maybe no?

Some business properties here have very bright lights to illumnate their properties.
Look around those lights in the early morning times.

I collected those moths for a research project. Easy as picking pea pods.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
On three occasions in my last house we got them in the bedrooms. First time the boy woke up screaming and second time I ran out of bed downstairs. Both times the old man says a moth cant be that bad refused to deal them. The third time he half wakes up yelling "helicopter coming in close".

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
uploadfromtaptalk1441190347364.jpg
This is the poplar hawk moth I found. Sat on my hand for ages letting me scrutinise it.
cd44942a065fd175b6830b4ebfa26e17.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hugh, check your potato plants for the larva of Death's head Hawkmoth, a huge yellow caterpillar. Also keep an eye out for the adults, as they raid bee nests for honey.

The moth is an immigrant though, so only present some years, but now is the right time of year for it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Will do mate. May take a while to check my neighbours spuds though. 200 acres of em right by the gate!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just startled one as the security lights went on. The thing must have had a 5" wing span. It was the size of a sparrow! Didn't know we had any moths that got that big - had to look it up. Thats one impressive moth (sorry no piccs)

We used to see a lot of those in Derbyshire when I was a kid. That was over fifty years ago, and now I can't remember the last time I saw one. We're destroying this planet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE