Princes Thai Green Curry pouch (200g) from Tesco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
89 pence, and worth every penny !

Princes Thai Green Curry in a 200g pouch, ready to reheat, microwave, or boil in the bag.

The pouch is a good fit in my Tibetan Titanium 1100 pot, and the 200g pouch size is just right for a satisfying meal, when combined with rice (not included).

This pouch can be found in the canned meat/fish aisle of Tesco, and the one I bought tonight has a BB4 date of Jul 09, but does not require refrigeration. There is PLENTY of chicken in this little pouch, so lots for the hungry backpacker, either add rice, or just eat the curry out of the (sturdy, rip open) pouch.

The taste is very pleasant, a noticeable hint of lime, I think, and as said before, chicken in every spoonful. Quite spicy, but not a mouth burner, I will definitely be buying more of these. There is also a Thai Red Curry, but that's for tomorrow night !

Did I already say.. Only 89 pence each from Tesco.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
OK, I'm impatient... I fired up the Decagon again, and heated up the Thai Red curry (scientific research, of course).

To be honest, it's quite similar to the green curry, apart from the red colour. A noticeable lime essence, lots of chicken, very tasty. I think the green curry is supposed to have coconut in the mix, and it probably does, but in both these currys, the lime is the first thing you notice (pleasant anyhow).

And for the price of 89 pence, they're just right for one person, you could add rice, but they're just as good, eaten straight out of the pouch - chicken in every spoonfull!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up some tuna steaks with lime sauce (in a pouch) which was nice and they had tinned cheese back in stock:)

Why cheese in a tin Richard ? Is it just for the added protection/preservation ?

Are we talking about a block of something like cheddar or is it a creamy cheese ?

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
These are a much better size, than the others. All the ones I have seen are twice that size.

There are a few more : -

Princes Chicken Tikka Pouch
Princes Coronation Chicken Pouch
Princes Chicken, Sweetcorn & Mayo Pouch
Princes Chicken Sweet & Sour Pouch

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Went shopping again today, grabbed half a dozen Princes Thai green curry pouches for the cupboard.

Just simmering a steak and mushroom stew on my Swedish Army Trangia at the moment (because I can), still trying out ideas for my next trip out and beyond.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
could you please look at the ingrediants list and tell me if "monosodium glutamate" aka E621 is listed. If not it can legally just be listed simply as a "flavour enhancer" so look at for that too. cheers.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
OK, Princes Thai Green Curry...

Cooked Chicken 55%
Water,
Coconout Milk,
Green Pepper 5.5%,
Green Curry Paste (Chilli, Lemongrass, Garlic, Shallot, Galangal, Lime Peel, Corriander Root, Cumin Powder, Tumeric Powder) 3.9%,
Salt,
Modified Tapioca Starch,
Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum),
Ground Chilli Powder.

No E numbers listed at all, and the fat content is (per 100 gram) 2.3g, of which 0.9 gram is saturates.

And, it's "Product of Thailand", so it's even geographically authentic !

could you please look at the ingrediants list and tell me if "monosodium glutamate" aka E621 is listed. If not it can legally just be listed simply as a "flavour enhancer" so look at for that too. cheers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked some up today and have tried a pack of the red curry, not bad at all, add to a pack of 9p value noodles and you have lunch for 89p:) You could even manage that in a Swedish Army alcohol setup;)

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
I've been test driving meals using my Swedish Army Trangia a lot recently, like a tin of stewed steak, a handful of mushrooms, a carrot, a small onion, herbs and seasoning, a lot of simmering, and there you go, a nice stew! all on one fill of the SAT burner.
I picked some up today and have tried a pack of the red curry, not bad at all, add to a pack of 9p value noodles and you have lunch for 89p:) You could even manage that in a Swedish Army alcohol setup;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been test driving meals using my Swedish Army Trangia a lot recently, like a tin of stewed steak, a handful of mushrooms, a carrot, a small onion, herbs and seasoning, a lot of simmering, and there you go, a nice stew! all on one fill of the SAT burner.

I'm pleased you are having a go with the Swedish set up, but as the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear." Not the best of stove setups IMHO, the real Trangia setup is far superior. The pukka setups simmer well, and you can mount a pressure stove in them, 10,000BTU's of power down to a low simmer, many hours of simmering on 400ml of paraffin:)

Just my opinion, no offence meant.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
I had a Gas converted Trangia years ago... gave it away! (probably wish I hadn't).

No, actually, I love the Swedish Army Trangias, I've just got a second stove, the Stainless Steel version.

It's not the lightest, or most compact - we know that. It's a bucket suspended over a fire, ok.

But....

It runs on meths, or other alcohol products, has a longer cooking time, about an hour, With a simmering ring, it's controllable, it can be suspended over an actual fire, and has the hooks for this purpose.

When closed down for travel, you can fit inside the kit the following: Trangia meths bottle, Trangia burner, pot gripper, firesteel, mini bottle of olive oil, mini bottle of washing up liquid, mini bottle of soy sauce, half a scotchbrite pad, light-my-fire spork.

It's a complete cooking kit, just add food. Last week, when we had some snow here in the east of Scotland, I put the SAT on the back step, lit the burner, filled the large pot (bucket) with snow, and proceed to melt and then boil aforementioned snow.

It's ancient and crude, but that's what's so good about it!

I have also recently bought (from backpackinglight.co.uk) a Bushcooker, titanium pot and Decagon meths stove, for backpacking trips. I'm looking forward to the next exped, when my friends see me foraging for twigs ! I actually have a stash drying on top of the gas boiler at home.

In short, (and I have yet to weigh the Mil Trangia against my lightweight kit), if weight and space permit, then the Mil Trangia is certainly a capable cooker (you will need to buy a simmering ring though, for cooking anything other than water, or you'll burn things onto the bottom of the pans).

I'm pleased you are having a go with the Swedish set up, but as the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear." Not the best of stove setups IMHO, the real Trangia setup is far superior. The pukka setups simmer well, and you can mount a pressure stove in them, 10,000BTU's of power down to a low simmer, many hours of simmering on 400ml of paraffin:)

Just my opinion, no offence meant.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Princes Thai red curry is now discontinued.

Why do all the good things disappear?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE