Primus Jets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Got my Omnilite Ti at the weekend. The first thing I did was change the 36 jet to a 32 jet as I primarily intend to run it on Aspen 4[1]. When I got it I picked up an MSR Gas cart so I can test it with gas. If you can excuse my ignorance, could one of the stove experts help me: What would happen if I try to use a different fuel/jet combo than the one Primus advise? Say use Gas with a 32, or petrol with a 25?

Cheers

J

[1]I bought 5L of the stuff, which should last me a while...

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
You will get a wrong mixture at the burn point. IIRC the gas jet is the largest on the Primus set up. So the burn will not be as hot as it should as the mixture will be a tad lean. That said if you run aspen in the gas get it will be a little rich and may be sooty. I always use paraffin in mine as you get a longer hotter burn for your money, I always prime with meths.

Si

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
What Si said. I think you might be living dangerously running petrol and paraffin through the gas jet. Prime well if you do.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... What would happen if I ...

Sorry for the late reply, forum software troubles again.

Did you get the User's Manual with the stove?

I only ask because it says in bold at the top of page 2 (the English translation), right before the section in which it talks about fuels and jet sizes:

"FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH."

:yikes:

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Sorry for the late reply, forum software troubles again.

Did you get the User's Manual with the stove?

I only ask because it says in bold at the top of page 2 (the English translation), right before the section in which it talks about fuels and jet sizes:

"FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH."

:yikes:

Sold to the man above.

Si

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Stoves that are asperated( oxygen added before combustion) are designed to work with an exess of oxygen. Paraffin takes the most oxygen per measured volumetric ammount, then petrols, then gas. You can theoretically run gas throughthe diesil but not vice versa as the stove is starved of oxygen. That said the stoves are configured to run off maximum pressure and even more so you would probably be ok, and a stove like the omni does not seem like it is starved of oxygen( providing there is no silencer cap, if there was then I wouldn't reccomend it. Also if too much oxygen is supplied fuels will not burn, if the air mix is too much no combustion takes place. It is said that the impingement burners also need a certain ammount of heat to keep the different fuel vapourised, so if you ran diesil through a petrol nossle there would not be enough heat to vapourize the stream of fuel, but I cannot see how this is true as they are fitted with adjustable valves that simmer, unless the omni cannot vaporise a diesil on a gas nossle in an arctic snowstorm whilst at full throttle, but a pan on the stove always helps with the vapourisation!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
'Scuse the thread necromancy.

The other day in the woods I took my Omnilite Ti with me, along with a Gas cart, and a bottle of aspen. In the woods, I couldn't get a flame from the Aspen, assuming I'd been an idiot and left the wrong jet in it (I left all bar stove and fuel at home), I stuck the gas cart on and made tea. It burned ok, no noticeable change in performance. When I got home, I took the stove apart, and found it had the 32 jet (Petrol/White Gas). So, while it may not be advised, you can run gas on the 32 jet.

J

PS Turns out the issue with the petrol was the pump seal was out of alignment, squirt of pump cup oil, and a fettle, and it's good as new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE