Primus Frigg stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Has anyone any experience of these?

http://www.primus.eu/Templates/Pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888

Any idea where to buy in the UK, and

will it fit the small refillable gas canisters that are available.

You haven't said which cannisters, nor which gas. You will probably want butane, but some burners will burn several different fuels including different gases. Different gases come in different bottles. There are many different sizes and types of thread, it's a bit of a minefield, but there are also many adaptors available so you'll probably manage somehow. Some gas cylinder styles have appeared on the market for a time and then disappeared, if you've owned a gas blowlamp you'll probably know about that already. Best to find a supplier of the cannisters that you think you'll be using and ask them what they think of the particular one you plan to use. Some varieties have been around for decades and will likely be around for decades more. I have a double burner gas stove that's well over 40 years old, it takes 907 style cylinders (2.75kg of gas) which you can still buy in most parts of Europe, and it also fits a nice compact single burner that I have, very much like the one you linked to -- although I don't know if the one you linked to will fit it. If the supplier says it will fit a 907 you're home and dry.

I don't really know much about refillable gas canisters, but given the price of parafin/aspen or small gas canisters, this looks like a good, uncomplicated, everyday camping solution.

Generally speaking gas will be a bit more expensive than paraffin for the same amount of heat, but unless you're camping for many months the cost of gas cooking won't be an issue. If you're using it for heating or for boiling large quantities of water (for a troop, or for a few hot water bottles) then the cost might start to make itself noticed. There's a good comparison here but bear in mind that you pay a lot more for gas in small containers than in the sort of volumes that they use for home heating so treat the figures with caution.

At low temperatures, some gases burn better than others. Butane is notorious at freezing temperatures, because pure butane boils at just under the freezing point of water. So if it's frosty, your butane will stay in the bottle as a liquid instead of coming out of the bottle as a gas. When a liquified gas boils (as it must, to get out of the bottle) it cools the remaining liquid gas. The faster you use the gas the more it cools the liquid in the bottle. That means that even at temperatures which are warmer than the boiling point of the gas, using the gas quickly might cause the liquid in the bottle to sool so much that it behaves as if the ambient temperature is colder than it really is. You will sometimes see frost form on the outside of the bottle, from the bottom of the bottle to the level of the liquid in it.

Propane and mixtures of propane and butane are better at low temperatures because propane boils at a much lower temperature than butane.

The regulator, piping and gas burner need to be designed to work with the gas or gas mixture that you're using or they could be dangerous.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Ged,

You haven't said which cannisters, nor which gas. I have a double burner gas stove that's well over 40 years old, it takes 907 style cylinders (2.75kg of gas) which you can still buy in most parts of Europe, and it also fits a nice compact single burner that I have, very much like the one you linked to -- although I don't know if the one you linked to will fit it. If the supplier says it will fit a 907 you're home and dry....

Some of the points you raise are the reason I posted. It isn't clear to me what the fitting is, it says it works with Primus refillable canisters, but that isn't that useful. The primus one's are butane, but its seems you can change the jet to make it work with propane.

Is the single burner you have the Camping gaz one (which seems to be no longer on their web site)

Thanks,

Graham

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i have a very similar stove to this, it's pretty old and a different make but looks very similar. critically, when i got my stove it was connected to exactly the same kind of cannister that's pictured in the link that you provided, now it's working perfectly well on a 907 cylinder exactly as ged suggested it might.

superb stove, deals with huge pans and huge amounts of water very easily, by far the most stable stove that i've ever used (simply because it's got a few kilos of ballast attatched to the bottom), and nicely simple to use/clean

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Some of the points you raise are the reason I posted. It isn't clear to me what the fitting is, it says it works with Primus refillable canisters, but that isn't that useful.

Agreed, it isn't. :(

They probably don't want you using just any old cylinder, it makes them no money if you do that...

The primus one's are butane, but its seems you can change the jet to make it work with propane.

Yes, a number of the multi-fuel stoves (some of which will burn both liquid and gas fuels) are supplied with various jets for different types of fuel.

Is the single burner you have the Camping gaz one (which seems to be no longer on their web site)

I don't know for sure, I'm sorry, but I think so. Unfortunately it's 1,000 miles away at the moment so I can't easily check. Whatever it is I like it a lot, as you say it's very fuss-free. Just turn it on and light it. The flame isn't good in anything more than a very light breeze, so it usually needs a wind break if it's outdoors.

Next time I'm near the thing I'll check if it has any makers markings, and try to measure its gas usage for something like boiling a litre of water.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
ged,

Next time I'm near the thing I'll check if it has any makers markings, and try to measure its gas usage for something like boiling a litre of water.

Thanks, I might have bought something by then. I'll try giving Primus an email about the canister, I was just hoping to get someone who has actually used one.

Graham

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I like old stoves :)

Me too.
emoticon-00100-smile.gif

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I'd say go for the following:

http://www.campingaz.com/p-23695-super-carena-r.aspx

The Camping Gaz Cylinders have the better distribution....

I wouldn't go for the Primus unless it was the compatible with the campinggaz cylinders.

It seems the super-carena is discontinued. It's not on the UK camping gaz web site and the online companies that sell it are listing it as out of stock or discontinued.

There are a couple on e-bay mind you so may well give it a go.

Thanks,

Graham

Thanks

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Just to say that as Johnboy suggested the Primus Frigg is not compatible with the Campingaz 907 cylinders. So it looks like a Campingaz Super Carena R is the only choice.

Graham

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So it looks like a Campingaz Super Carena R is the only choice.

Maybe.
If it has to be a bottle mounted burner the Super Carena has a lot going for it, but something like this running off a Calor 4.5kg bottle might be a bit cheaper to run. If you were prepared to run a remote stove off say, a non-calor 7kg bottle (or bigger) it would be even cheaper. The smaller the container, the more expensive the gas and CG907s are an expensive way to cook.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Maybe.
If it has to be a bottle mounted burner the Super Carena has a lot going for it, but something like this running off a Calor 4.5kg bottle might be a bit cheaper to run. If you were prepared to run a remote stove off say, a non-calor 7kg bottle (or bigger) it would be even cheaper. The smaller the container, the more expensive the gas and CG907s are an expensive way to cook.

Now that's an interesting contraption, but I'm afraid I am being very fussy about this. I have a very strong image of how and when I want this to work. The single burner with a handle and a smallish refillable cylinder like the 907 fits the bill exactly. It's for occasional use when I (and my better half who is scared of stoves, but not of open fires) just want something to grab and light with a minimum of fuss, but cheaper to run and more robust than a 500g canister on a backpacking stove.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE